Connectionists: Deep Learning Workshop at ICML'16

Kyunghyun Cho kyunghyun.cho at nyu.edu
Sun May 29 15:35:43 EDT 2016

This year's Deep Learning Workshop (
https://sites.google.com/site/dlworkshop16) quite radically departs from a
usual workshop format. We've chosen two topics of interest and importance:
(1) deep learning in the small data regime and (2) simulation-based
learning. For each topic, we've invited five awesome researchers who will
discuss the topic from their expertise and address questions and comments
from the audience during an extended panel discussion (1.5hr long for each
session.)

To make it even more engaging and wide-reaching, we're gathering comments
and questions on those two topics via Reddit "Ask a Workshop Anything". We
will collect and pass them on to the invited speakers so that they are
ready and happy to address some of those comments. We will share the
answers by the invited speakers as a form of online video recording of the
workshop.

Here are the links:

- Session 1: https://www.reddit.com/…/icml2016_ask_a_workshop_anything_…/
- Session 2: https://www.reddit.com/…/icml2016_ask_a_workshop_anything_…/

The invited speakers are:

- Session 1: Harri Valpola, Leon Bottou, Joelle Pineau, Maria-Florina
Balcan and Anima Anandkumar
- Session 2: Raia Hadsell, Pieter Abbeel, Gary Marcus, Marco Baroni and
Sanja Fidler

This workshop is organized by me, Emily Denton, Antoine Bordes, Rob Fergus
and Nando De Freitas.

The organizers would like to thank Brian Cheung for helping us greatly in
setting up Reddit AWA, and also thank Google DeepMind.