Connectionists: Postdoctoral Research Scientist Positions in Multimodal Neuroimaging

Paul Sajda ps629 at columbia.edu
Mon May 23 19:06:01 EDT 2016

The Laboratory for Intelligent Imaging and Neural Computing (LIINC) directed by Prof. Paul Sajda at Columbia University has  immediate openings for several Postdoctoral Research Scientists (Fellows)  to participate in collaborative work with the Army Research Laboratory (ARL) investigating neural structure-function relationships in the context of cognition.  Specially we have ongoing projects using multi-modal neuroimaging to study  rapid decision making, multi-sensory integration and expertise as realized in the human brain.  We use a number of imaging modalities including simultaneous EEG/fMRI, DTI/DWI and more recently fNIRS/EEG to measure brain activity across space and time during complex tasks.  We employ various types of machine learning to make inferences about cognitive state based on these neuroimaging data, ultimately relating these cognitive state estimates to behavior, either directly and/or via cognitive models.

Successful applicants will have a background in several of the following area: Recording and analysis of simultaneous EEG and fMRI , DTI/DWI/DSI, design of complex behavioral experiments/tasks, signal detection theory, cognitive modeling, machine learning.  A Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Neuroscience is preferred.

LIINC (liinc.bme.columbia.edu <http://liinc.bme.columbia.edu/>) is within the Department of Biomedical Engineering  at Columbia University.  We are part of a dynamic and vibrant neuroengineering environment which includes the Center for Neuroengineering and Computation (cnec.columbia.edu <http://cnec.columbia.edu/>) the Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute (zuckermaninstitute.columbia.edu <http://zuckermaninstitute.columbia.edu/>) and the Data Sciences Institute (dsi.columbia.edu <http://dsi.columbia.edu/>).

Interested candidates should send via email their CV, three representative papers, the names of three references, and cover letter to Prof. Paul Sajda (psajda at columbia.edu <mailto:psajda at columbia.edu>).

The positions are for one year, with the option to renew for 2-3 years, given satisfactory performance and available funding.  The positions are available immediately and applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.

Paul Sajda, Ph.D.
Professor
Departments of Biomedical Engineering,
Electrical Engineering and Radiology
Columbia University
351 Engineering Terrace Building, Mail Code 8904
1210 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027
tel: (212) 854-5279
fax: (212) 854-8725
email: ps629 at columbia.edu
http://liinc.bme.columbia.edu <http://liinc.bme.columbia.edu/>

Editor-in-Chief
IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering
email: editortnsre at gmail.com
http://tnsre.bme.columbia.edu <http://tnsre.bme.columbia.edu/>

Chair, IEEE BRAIN Initiative
http://brain.ieee.org <http://brain.ieee.org/>