Connectionists: Seeking Postdocs for Deep Learning Research (including Deep Reinforcement Learning)

Jeff Clune jeffclune at uwyo.edu
Fri May 20 15:25:14 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Please forward this email to anyone who might be interested.

A fully funded, two-year postdoc is available in Jeff Clune’s lab in the computer science department at the University of Wyoming. The research will be on areas of mutual interest in deep neural networks/deep learning, including deep reinforcement learning (in simulation and/or with physical robots). The position is available immediately, but I am flexible regarding delayed starting dates. Experience with deep learning is a huge plus, but is not required if the applicant has a background in relevant fields (e.g. math, programming, computer science, or statistics) and a desire to learn about deep neural networks.

The Evolving Artificial Intelligence lab (http://EvolvingAI.org) focuses on robotics and creating artificial intelligence in neural networks, either via deep learning or evolutionary algorithms. The lab is actively engaged in research. Just in the last two years, we have received an NSF CAREER award, participated in a cover article in Nature on robotics, produced the 63rd most talked about scientific paper worldwide in 2015, and our deep learning papers were awarded oral presentations (1-6% acceptance rates) at NIPS, CVPR, ICLR, and an ICML workshop. In that same time, we also produced six papers at GECCO, including a best paper award, and a cover article for PLoS Computational Biology with a Reddit AMA about it that over 42,000 people joined to ask 1000+ questions. Additionally, our work has been covered by almost every major international news outlet.

Please see http://EvolvingAI.org for more information, including :
	⁃	Short video summaries of our work and talks: http://www.evolvingai.org/videos
	⁃	Our publications: http://www.evolvingai.org/publications
	⁃	Press coverage: http://www.evolvingai.org/press
	⁃	Info on living in Wyoming and being a part of our lab: http://www.evolvingai.org/join

If you are interested, please follow the instructions at http://www.evolvingai.org/join

The University of Wyoming is located in Laramie, a college town in the heart of the Rocky Mountain West. Nestled between two mountain ranges, Laramie has more than 300 days of sunshine a year and is home to year-round outdoor activities including hiking, camping, rock climbing, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, fishing and mountain biking. Laramie is also near many of Colorado's major cities and university communities (e.g. Fort Collins, Boulder, and Denver).

The University of Wyoming is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, marital, veteran or any other legally protected status.

Best regards,
Jeff Clune

Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Director, Evolving Artificial Intelligence Lab <http://evolvingai.org/>