Connectionists: Post-Doctoral Positions at Boston University Investigating Long-Range Neocortical Networks

Chen, Jerry jerchen at bu.edu
Thu Mar 24 18:27:02 EDT 2016

Post-Doctoral Positions Available
---------------------------------
We are a new lab, headed by Jerry Chen, opening our doors in 2016 in the Department of Biology at Boston University

SUMMARY:
A longstanding goal in neuroscience is to achieve a complete understanding of the central nervous system, from the brain as a whole all the way down to individual neurons and synapses. A fundamental challenge in achieving this goal is bridging knowledge gaps impeded by the difficulty in integrating experimental measurements across different scales.  Our lab studies the relationship between local circuits and long-range networks in the mammalian neocortex. We take an integrative approach by combining large-scale in vivo imaging technology with molecular and genetic tools in the awake-behaving animal.

RESEARCH PROJECTS:
Principles of Long-Range Cortical Communication.
We are investigating how behavior-relevant information is processed both locally and globally throughout the neocortex.  Using the mouse tactile whisker sensorimotor system as a model for studying long-range cortical communication during sensory processing and decision making, we seek to understand the following questions:
- What are the circuits underlying long-range cortical communication?
- What are the physiological mechanisms that subserve such operations?
- What roles do these processes serve during behavior?

Long-Range Cortical Circuits During Development.
We are investigating how genes and development define the organization and function of long-range cortical circuits.  Gaining a handle on how these circuits form will help us understand the role they serve during behavior.

Technologies for Large-Scale Imaging of Neuronal Populations.
We recently developed a multi-area two-photon microscope that enables simultaneous functional imaging with cellular resolution across cortical areas.  We seek to expand on such methods to enable comprehensive monitoring of neuronal activity across the entire cortex.

QUALIFICATIONS:
We are seeking highly creative individuals who are interested in pursuing independent projects core to the lab's research interest.  A first author publication (submitted or published) is a prerequisite for consideration.  While experience with in vivo imaging and rodent behavior and a quantitative background is desired, we are also interested in individuals with a broad range of expertise within and outside of neuroscience.  You can even be a mathematician, physicist, engineer, computer scientist, molecular biologist, artist, or musician.  Some examples of potential good fits include:
- Neurophysiologists with previous experience working with non-human primates interested in addressing similar questions in rodents.
- Developmental neurobiologists interested in studying how circuit formation guides circuit function and behavior.
- Computational neuroscientists interested in testing theoretical models using experimental data acquired in the lab.
- Molecular biologists interested in utilizing molecular and genetic tools for addressing systems-level questions.
- Optical engineers interested in developing and applying novel technologies for large-scale recording and stimulation of neuronal populations.

For more information, go to www.chen-lab.org.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a CV along with 3 references to: jerry at chen-lab.org.