Connectionists: Postdoctoral position in Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition - [ Postdoc ] PAVIS-PD 71372

Pavis Pavis at iit.it
Wed Jun 29 12:14:23 EDT 2016

Postdoctoral position in Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition - [ Postdoc ]
PAVIS-PD  71372
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia - IIT - was founded with the objective of promocting Italy’s technological development and further education in science and technology. In this sense, IIT’s scientific program is based in the combination of basic scientific research and development of technical applications, a major inspirational principle. Researchareas cover scientific topics of high innovative content, representing the most advanced frontiers of modern technology, with wide application possibilities in various fields ranging from medicine to industry, from computer science to robotics, life sciencesand nanobiotechnology.
PAVIS department at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) (http://www.iit.it/pavis) is looking for a highly qualified researcher with a strong background in Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, with particular emphasis on recognition, video analysis, behavior understanding and prediction.
As the activities may be carried out in collaboration with other research units inside IIT, previous multidisciplinary experience is an added value which will be duly considered.
The main mission of PAVIS (Pattern Analysis and Computer Vision) is to design and develop innovative video surveillance systems, characterized by the use of highly-functional smart sensors and advanced video analytics features. PAVIS also plays an active role in supporting the other research units inside IIT providing providing scientists in Neuroscience, Nanophysics and other IIT departments/centers with ad hoc solutions.
To this end, the group is involved in activities concerning computer vision and pattern recognition, machine learning, multimodal\multimedia data analysis and sensor fusion, and embedded computer vision systems. The lab will pursue this goal by working collaboratively and in cooperation with external private and public partners.
In particular, this call aims at consolidating PAVIS expertise in one or more of the following research areas:
•       Analysis of static and dynamic scenes.
•       Recognition (objects, scenes, actions, events, etc.) and reconstruction.
•       Behavior Analysis & Activity Recognition (individuals, groups, crowd).
•       Prediction of intentions.
>From the methodological standpoint, the ideal candidate should be familiar with one or more of the following subjects: Graphical Models, Topic Models, Bayesian Nonparametrics, Deep Learning, Representation/Feature Learning, Sparse and Dictionary Learning, Clustering, Kernel methods, Manifold Learning and Statistical and Probabilistic Models in general.
Candidates to this position have a Ph.D. in computer vision, machine learning or related areas.
Research experience and qualification in computer vision and pattern recognition/machine learning are clearly a must and evidence of top quality research on the above specified areas in the form of published papers in top conferences/journals and/or patents is mandatory.
This call is opened for scientists with more seniority, having specific experience in the preparation and management of research proposals (EU, US, national), so a few years of postdoc experience, either in academia or industrial lab, should be manifest.
Evidence of such experience should be duly and clearly provided.
The winning candidate will also be asked to contribute to setting up new (funding) project proposals and will participate in funding activities.
He/she is also expected to publish his/her research results in leading international journals and conferences, supervise PhD candidates and collaborate with other scientists, also with different expertise.
The position is offered for an initial (renewable) period of 2 years. Salary will be commensurate to qualification and experience and in line with international standards.
The workplace is Genova, Italy.
Further details and informal enquires can be made by email to pavis at iit.it quoting PAVIS-PD  71372 as reference number.
Completed application forms along with a curriculum listing all publications (possibly including pdf of your most representative publications), and a research statement describing your previous research experience and outlining its relevance to the above topics should be sent by email to applications at iit.it, quoting PAVIS-PD 71372 as reference number. Please also send 2 reference letters. This call will remain open and applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, but for full consideration please apply by July 31st, 2016.
 In order to comply with Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), the candidate is kindly asked to give his/her consent to allow Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia to process his/her personal data.
We inform you that the information you provide will be solely used for the purpose of evaluating and selecting candidates in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper-based means, observing the rules on the protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data, and they will not be communicated to thirds.
Please also note that, pursuant to art.7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Holder.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.