Connectionists: Postdoc position available in Cognitive Big Data Informatlcs (CogBID) Lab at Stirling University, Scotland

Dr Amir Hussain ahu at cs.stir.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 17:05:00 EDT 2016

Post Details:

Fixed Term Contract: expected dates: 01 August 2016 to 30 September 2018.

Closing date: midnight on 26 June 2015.

The UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded
project “Towards visually-driven speech enhancement for
cognitively-inspired multi-modal hearing-aid devices (AV-COGHEAR)”, aims to
develop a new generation of hearing aid technology that extracts speech
from noise by using a camera to see what the talker is saying. Our proposed
approach is consistent with normal hearing. Listeners naturally combine
information from both their ears and eyes: we use our eyes to help us hear.
When listening to speech, eyes follow the movements of the face and mouth
and a sophisticated, multi-stage process uses this information to separate
speech from the noise and fill in any gaps. Our proposed
cognitively-inspired multi-modal approach will act much the same way by
exploiting visual information from a camera, and develop novel causal
algorithms, for intelligently combining audio and visual Big Data
information, in order to improve speech quality and intelligibility in
real-world noisy environments. The postdoctoral research fellow will be
part of a multi-institute team, led by Stirling University, based at the
Cognitive Big Data Informatics (CogBID) Research Lab (headed by Prof. Amir
Hussain), comprising speech researchers, psychologists, and industry
partners, and will focus heavily on cognitively-inspired signal and image
processing. Specifically, the postdoc will research and develop a
next-generation audiovisual speech enhancement system, in close
collaboration with project partners at the University of Sheffield (UK),
clinical researchers at the Institute of Hearing Research (Scottish
Section), and the industrial partner: Phonak.

For further information, including essential criteria and details on how to
apply, please see: www.stir.ac.uk/jobs

For informal enquiries, contact the project Principal Investigator (PI):
Prof. Amir Hussain, E-mail: ahu at cs.stir.ac.uk, http://cs.stir.ac.uk/~ahu/

--
The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2015
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,