Connectionists: SCIENCE (3 June 2016) features a 4-page story on the Rutgers/Al-Quds Brain Research Exchange, the Palestinian Neuroscience Initiative, and our studies of cognition and Major Depressive Disorder.

Mark Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 9 08:25:21 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues:

The current issue of SCIENCE (3 June 2016, Vol 352, Issue 6290, pp. 1158-1161) features a 4-page story on the Rutgers/Al-Quds Brain Research Exchange,  the Palestinian Neuroscience Initiative, and Rutgers University-Newark, entitled

"Peace of Mind: A young Palestinian neuroscientist hopes to create a research oasis in the West Bank that transcends politics."

It profiles my former graduate student, Mohammad Herzallah, and describes our collaborative and interdisciplinary international research and educational programs in the Palestinian West Bank, focussing on clinical depression and the cognitive neuroscience of learning, generalization, and decision making. The story reviews some of our recent NIH-funded longitudinal studies of the cognitive profiles of medication-naive patients with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and how these cognitive profiles that characterize reward-based feedback learning and generalization will change once these patients are placed on SSRI antidepressants.  Of particular interest is the possibility that the subset of medication-naive MDD patients who later go on to be SSRI-responding (i.e., finding psychiatric symptom relief from the anti-depressants) may show different cognitive profiles, a priori, than those who subsequently do not respond to SSRIs. If so, then cognitive profiles may help us identify clinically relevant subtypes of Major Depressive Disorder.

See the story at

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6290/1158.full <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6290/1158.full>
ᐧ

- Mark Gluck

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
Center for Molecular & Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University — Newark
197 University Ave.
Newark, New Jersey  07102
 	 Web:  http://www.gluck.edu <http://www.gluck.edu/>