Connectionists: 2 Postdoc positions in modeling dendritic integration and synaptic plasticity

Walter Senn senn at pyl.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 26 02:37:09 EST 2016

Dear Colleagues, dear all,

We are inviting applications for 2 postdoc positions (for at least 2
years, earliest start April 1, 2016) in computational neuroscience at
the University of Bern, Switzerland.

Our research is devoted to models of synaptic plasticity and dendritic
integration that serve as a computational paradigm for learning in
neuronal networks. We have recently suggested to consider “Learning by
the dendritic prediction of somatic spiking” (Neuron 2014) that
assigns an intrinsic computational task to neurons and dendrites. This
concept will be extended by including dendritic nonlinearities and
considering networks of such neuronal prediction elements. The 2
positions are:

1) Postdoc for modeling dendritic integration. We have shown how the
error-backpropagation algorithm translates to a dendritic tree that
displays NMDA-spikes in individual dendritic branches (PLoS Comp Biol
2016). Along these ideas a biophysical model of dendritic integration
will be worked out that makes also contact to Bayesian integration.

2) Postdoc for modeling synaptic plasticity and learning in networks.
The neurons as intrinsic prediction elements will be connected to form
a network that mimics various learning tasks and that is particularly
suited for imitation learning.

You will profit from generous travel funding and from collaborations
in- and outside the Human Brain Project, and you will also enjoy the
beautiful city and surrounding of Switzerland’s capital. Ideal
candidates have a strong background in computational neuroscience and
machine learning.

Please send CV, letter of motivation, and publication list by March 11
to Walter Senn (senn at pyl.unibe.ch) and Sabine Herzog
(herzog at pyl.unibe.ch).

With best wishes
Walter Senn