Connectionists: Post-doctoral Research Fellow - Computational Modelling of Deep brain Stimulation for Parkinson's disease

Olga Grant olga.grant at ucd.ie
Mon Feb 22 12:05:51 EST 2016

Post-doctoral Research Fellow - Computational Modelling of Deep brain
Stimulation for Parkinson's disease

Highly motivated candidates are invited to join an exciting new project to
develop multiscale models of the neuromuscular system for closed-loop deep
brain stimulation (DBS).  We are seeking a post-doctoral research fellow to
develop models of the electric field around the implanted electrode during
deep brain stimulation and its interaction with surrounding neurons.
Despite the success of DBS, the mechanisms by which it works are not yet
understood.  This project aims to address this question and to design
closed-loop control strategies for DBS through a combination of
computational modelling and experimentation.  The project represents an
exciting opportunity for enthusiastic candidates to work on a new
multidisciplinary research project funded by the European Research Council
(ERC).

The Neuromuscular Systems and Neural Engineering Lab is a multidisciplinary
research group led by Prof. Madeleine Lowery in the School of Electrical and
Electronic Engineering at University College Dublin.  Our research involves
applying engineering principles, in particular mathematical modelling,
signal analysis and experimentation, to understand how the nervous system
controls muscle in healthy and diseased states. Through this research we aim
to improve our understanding of the neuromuscular system to address
fundamental questions in the control of human movement and to develop
improved therapeutic and rehabilitation strategies.

Candidates should hold a PhD in Biomedical Engineering,
Electrical/Electronic Engineering or a related discipline, with prior
experience in electromagnetic finite element analysis and/or computational
neural modelling.  Excellent communication, analytical and programming
skills are required.

Full details of the position and the application process are available
through the UCD Human Resources website (
<https://www.ucd.ie/hr/jobvacancies/> https://www.ucd.ie/hr/jobvacancies/) .

Informal enquiries may be made to

Prof. Madeleine Lowery

UCD School of electrical Electronic & Communications Engineering

University College Dublin

Belfield

Dublin 4

Ireland

madeleine.lowery at ucd.ie

Tel. +353 1 716 1911

Dr Olga M Grant

Research Project Manager

School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering

Tel +353 (1) 7161778