Connectionists: Postdoc opportunity at MIT

Nancy Lynch lynch at csail.mit.edu
Fri Dec 23 20:26:24 EST 2016

Dear connectionist list members,

Here is a general postdoc ad that you might be interested in:

The Theory of Distributed Systems group at MIT will have openings for
one or possibly two postdocs starting around Summer, 2017. Our main
areas of interest now are:

    Biological distributed algorithms (insect colonies, brain networks, ...)
    Wireless network algorithms
    Distributed graph network algorithms, but in particular those that
can tolerate noise, failures, change, etc.

Please send a quick note to Nancy Lynch, lynch at csail.mit.edu if you
are interested, and follow up soon with your CV, publication list, a
short statement describing your research interests, and a list of 3 or
so research references.

For people reading this list in particular, I expect that you would be
most interested in our brain networks research direction (of course).
To get an idea of the type of work we are doing in this area, see our
new ITCS paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.02084

We use a sort of probabilistic Spiking Neural Network model, define
problems formally, and give specific circuits and general lower bounds
for solving the problems in terms of the model.  We analyze costs in
terms of time bounds and network size.  The analysis is heavily
probabilistic.  We are interested in understanding how to compose
solutions to simple brain problems to build solutions to more
complicated problems.  We are interested in analyzing tolerance to
noise and uncertainty.

I hope this gives you an idea of what the project is like.

Nancy Lynch