Connectionists: CFP- Frontiers Research Topic: Cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical Modeling for Understanding Motor Function and Neurodegenerative Disease

Zheng zheng at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Apr 13 13:09:40 EDT 2016

To whom it may concern:

In collaboration with Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, we are
organizing a Research Topic titled
"Cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical Modeling for Understanding Motor
Function and Neurodegenerative Disease”, hosted by Pengsheng Zheng,
James Kozloski, Timothy Rumbell, George V. Rebec. As host editor, I
would like to encourage you to contribute to this topic. Please find
more information about Research Topics below, including the publishing
fees that apply. You can also visit the homepage we have created on the
Frontiers website, which defines the focus of the topic, and where all
published articles will appear.

http://frontiersin.org/Computational_Neuroscience/researchtopics/Cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical_Modeling_for_Understanding_Motor_Function_and_Neurodegenerative_Disease/4744
Movement in the body is directly controlled by motor cortex, and also
determined by multiple subcortical structures, such as thalamus and the
basal ganglia (including striatum and dopamine neurons in the substantia
nigra). Many lines of evidence have suggested the
cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical circuitry plays a major role in
motor learning and control. This circuitry has also been investigated
for its causal role in the onset and progression of neurodegenerative
diseases. Neurodegenerative diseases are often associated with movement
disorders and neuronal dysfunction in degenerated brain structures, such
as the striatum in Huntington’s disease and dopaminergic neurons in the
substantia nigra pars compacta in Parkinson's disease. Degeneration
fundamentally changes the dynamics of local neuronal circuits, and these
changes then propagate through the structural connectome of whole brain
circuitry, eventually altering global brain dynamics. However, our
current understanding of these system dynamics in the
cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical circuitry remains rudimentary.
Hence, theoretical studies about critical system variables and
computational principles of this circuitry, constrained by recordings
throughout, will shed new light on causes of motor dysfunction and
neurodegenerative diseases.

This Research Topic of Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience aims to
bring together recent advances in theoretical modeling of
cortico-striato-nigro-thalamo-cortical network and experimental
observations. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, local
brain circuit modeling, the functional role of neuronal plasticity in
the local and global circuit, global circuit interactions and
information exchange, new models validated by experimental observations,
and dynamic disease risk analysis through perturbation studies.
Best regards,
Pengsheng Zheng
zhengp at us.ibm.com <mailto:zhengp at us.ibm.com>
T.J. Watson Research Center