Connectionists: Post-doctoral Position in Translational Studies of Neuromodulation

neuro girl neurogirl at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:54:29 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We are inviting applications for a postdoctoral position in the recently established animal laboratory of the Department of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery of the University Hospital of Cologne (http://neurochirurgie.uk-koeln.de/de/stereotaxie). Our lab concentrates on highly translational studies focusing on functional neuromodulation techniques such as deep brain stimulation. We are especially interested in its application in the context of neuropsychiatric disorders such asTourette syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Each experimental set is designed to deliver practical answers for the clinical team of the department. Current projects for instance use optogeneticstimulation to develop of an OCD rat model facilitating research on closed-loop stimulation systems; others collect empirical evidences supporting the clinical implementation of deep brain stimulation as a therapeutic strategy to treat AD.

A PhD or MD/PhD degree(s) with robust background in neuroscience is essential;knowledge in neurophysiology, animal behavior and/or computational neuroscience is an asset. Strong language and writing skills in English are essential; fluency in German is a plus. The successful candidate is a highly driven team-orientedindividual with good communication skills. We work as a team and the team success is our main measure of achievement.
The position is available in January 2016 for an initial period of 2 years with possibility of extension up to 2 additional years. We offer employment with a salary and social benefits based on the collective agreement for public service employees in the academic and science sector (TV-L E13 adjusted based on experience). TheUniversity Hospital of Cologne promotes gender equality and therefore particularly encourages female scientists to apply. Preferential status will be given to handicapped persons, if equally qualified.

Interested candidates should send their inquiries or applications (cover letter including a brief statement of research interests, CV, publication list, as well as names and contact details of up to 3 referees) both to Prof. Dr. Visser-Vandewalle (veerle.visser-vandewalle at uk-koeln.de) and Dr. Sesia (thibaut.sesia at uk-koeln.de).

With best regards,

Dr. Thibaut Sesia

Junior Group Leader
Klinik für Stereotaxie und Funktionelle Neurochirurgie
Universitätsklinikum Köln (AöR)
Kerpener Str. 62
D - 50937 Köln