Connectionists: Fully Funded PhD Studentships

Lucas, Simon M sml at essex.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 11:47:03 EDT 2015

EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence (IGGI)
11 fully-funded 4-year studentships available for 2016/17
Covers fees at Home/EU rate and a tax-free stipend

IGGI is an exciting opportunity for you to undertake PhD research in Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence, working with world-leading academics and top industrial games partners. We currently have 23 students working on research in areas such as:

*   artificial intelligence (AI),

*   emotion and immersion in games,

*   new ways to interact with games,

*   applications such as using games to help neurological patients and to learn how children acquire language

*   intrinsic motivation in computational creativity

*   crowdsourcing solutions via gamification

*   ...

We have 11 studentships available for 2016/17 entry. Could you be one of our next cohort of students (www.iggi.org.uk/ourstudents/<http://www.iggi.org.uk/ourstudents/>), who are putting advanced research ideas into digital games and finding ways to improve people's lives using games technologies?

IGGI is a collaboration between the University of York, the University of Essex and Goldsmiths, University of London. We train the next generation of leading researchers, designers, developers and entrepreneurs in digital games.

Why IGGI?

IGGI gives you the chance to work on a focused research topic to extend the forefront of current knowledge in digital games technology and applications. IGGI gives you the opportunity to work with our industrial partners on your research, allowing you the possibility to contribute directly to the future of games. You'll have the opportunity to undertake industrial placements during the programme. These give you first-hand experience of the gaming industry, contributing to your research, as well as giving you the skills needed to succeed in a career in the games industry or games research.

Our partners include organisations such as: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, The Creative Assembly, Codemasters, 22Cans, Eutechnyx, Roll7, Rebellion, Game Republic, UKIE, TIGA, The Knowledge Transfer Network, BT, Age UK, Sue Ryder. Check them all out at http://www.iggi.org.uk/our-industrial-partners/

Your research work with partners like these will help to increase the use of games as a tool for scientific research and societal good, as well as creating more fun and profitable games that exploit research advances. Your research will take up around 80% of your time, working closely with one or more expert supervisors. This research will be supplemented by a tailored teaching and training programme where you will develop games and undertake other activities in small teams with the other IGGI PhD students. See http://www.iggi.org.uk/ourstudents/ for example of the IGGI students work to date.

You'll also develop through events such as:

*     the IGGI Games Jam, a 48 hour Game Development Challenge to enhance your skills in game design and development and teamwork. This is part of a global Games Jam, so you will be working with and competing against teams from across the world;

*     the IGGI Symposium, a student-led event that is a showcase for student research alongside industry and academic speakers;

*     industry days, where practitioners from industry share insights into their business and present real-world problems for teams to solve.

You'll receive practical skills training from a range of academic leaders. Core modules include:

*     Games Development

*     Games Design

*     Research Skills

You will have the opportunity to access cutting-edge advanced optional modules from all three institutions with topics such as:

Advanced Computer Vision; Multi-Agent Interactions and Games; Storytelling in Theatre, Film and Television; User-Centred Design; AI for Game Developers; Graphics and Geometry for Games; Understanding Social Media; Intelligent Systems and Robotics; Machine Learning and Data Mining; Media Theory.
Apply for IGGI
We have 11 fully-funded studentships to award to outstanding students that cover fees and an annual stipend of £14,057 (or £16,057 with London weighting if studying at Goldsmiths) for four years (at rates current for 2015/16; this may increase according to EPSRC minimum payments guidance).

You can contact potential supervisors directly (see http://www.iggi.org.uk/supervisors/ for a list), or we can help you to choose a principal supervisor from York, Essex or Goldsmiths based on your interests and background.

Please visit http://www.iggi.org.uk/apply/ for full details of how to apply to the IGGI programme.

In previous years we have had substantial competition for IGGI studentships, and we encourage good students to submit applications as early as possible. The deadline for applications is midnight (GMT) on Sunday 31st January 2016.  Shortlisting will take place on Friday 19th February and successful candidates will be contacted on Monday 22nd February. Interviews will be held at the University of Essex on Friday 4th March, 2016.

Professor Simon Lucas
Head of School
Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
University of Essex