Connectionists: Neural Coding, Computation and Dynamics (NCCD)

Peter Latham pel at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 11 04:29:05 EDT 2015

                August 30 - September 2, 2015
                          Bilbao, Spain

             http://www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/nccd/nccd15/

Third call!!

Key dates:
May 15: Abstracts due
May 31: Registration due

The goal of this workshop is to bring together experimentalists and
theoreticians who seek to understand how circuit dynamics underlies
representation and function in the nervous system, and to foster real
discussion. This year the workshop will focus on the interplay between
excitation (E) and inhibition (I) in cortical circuits. The balance between E
and I, an idea proposed twenty years ago to account for the stochastic nature
of cortical activity, has been seminal in the understanding of basic principles
of neural network dynamics. We are seeking talks that, building on this
paradigm, present recent findings on topics such as neuronal variability and
stochastic dynamics, the role of the different subtypes of
interneurons,plasticity and structure in EI networks, brain state and network
dynamics, etc.

The workshop will be limited to about 70 people, the hope being to foster real
interaction and discussion.

Thanks to a very generous grant from the Gatsby Charitable Foundation
and the Wellcome Trues, we will have a limited number of travel grants
(20-25) for students and postdocs.

Confirmed invited speakers
Dean Buonomano, University of California at Los Angeles
Jess Cardin, Yale School of Medicine
Brent Doiron, University of Pittsburgh
Andrea Hasenstaub, UCSF
Mike Hausser, UCL
Carl Petersen, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
Karel Svoboda, Janelia Farm
Tim Vogels, University of Oxford
Fred Wolf, University of Gottingen

Best,