Connectionists: Who introduced the term "Deep Learning" to NNs?

Juergen Schmidhuber juergen at idsia.ch
Thu Mar 12 17:35:22 EDT 2015

Thanks. Hm, sure, “deep neural nets” are old, and Ivakhnenko’s deep nets worked well even in the 1960s. But what I’d like to know is: who was the first to use the term “deep learning” in an NN publication?

Aizenberg et al (2000) wrote about “deep learning of the features of threshold Boolean functions, one of the most important objects considered in the theory of perceptrons …”

Brian Mingus, however, pointed me to a paper by Rina Dechter (1986). Brian wrote: "Deep learning as compared to shallow learning is terminology used in the study of constraint satisfaction. Constraint satisfaction networks then became RBMs. I would argue this is a good basis for the origin of the modern usage. I like this paper for provenance: http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1986/AAAI86-029.pdf <http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1986/AAAI86-029.pdf> "

But perhaps the term occurred even earlier in the NN literature?

Juergen