Connectionists: [meetings][CFP] AAAI-15 Open House

Yixin Chen chen at cse.wustl.edu
Sun Jan 18 01:13:17 EST 2015

The Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
will be holding a public open house as part of their annual research
conference. The public is invited to come and see a small sample of
the latest work in Artificial Intelligence, including robotics,
game-playing programs, and much more.

Admission to the open house is free but please register
here:movingai.com/AAAI15/register.html.

Please contact William Yeoh (wyeoh at cs.nmsu.edu) or Nathan Sturtevant
(sturtevant at cs.du.edu) for inquiries, or if you would like to bring a
group of participants to attend this event.
________________________________

Speeches

The Future of (Artificial) Intelligence
Speaker: Stuart Russell, University of California, Berkeley
Time: 1:00pm
Location: Zilker 3 Ballroom
Abstract: The news media in recent months have been full of dire
warnings about the risk that AI poses to the human race, coming from
well-known figures such as Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk. Should we be
concerned? If so, what can we do about it?

If Machines Are Capable of Doing Almost Any Work Humans Can Do, What
Will Humans Do?
Speaker: Moshe Vardi, Rice University
Time: 4:30pm
Location: Zilker 3 Ballroom
Abstract: Over the past 15 years Artificial Intelligence (AI) has made
remarkable progress. While AI has been proven to be much more
difficult than believed by its early pioneers, its inexorable progress
over the past 50 years suggests that H. Simon was probably right when
he wrote in 1956 "machines will be capable ... of doing any work a man
can do." I do not expect this to happen in the very near future, but I
do believe that by 2045 machines will be able to do a very significant
fraction of the work that humans can do. The following question,
therefore, seems to be of paramount importance. If machines are
capable of doing almost any work humans can do, what will humans do?

--
Yixin Chen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor