Connectionists: Call for participation: Symposium "Brains, Minds and Machines" at NIPS 2015

Maximilian Nickel mnick at mit.edu
Tue Dec 1 21:27:10 EST 2015

==== Symposium on Brains, Minds and Machines at NIPS 2015 ====

We cordially invite you to join us at the symposium on Brains, Minds and
Machines which will be held at the Neural Information Processing Systems
(NIPS)
Conference on December 10th, 2015 at the Palais des Congrès in Montréal,
Canada.

The symposium is focused on the scientifc understanding of intelligence and
how
the science of today enables new approaches to replicate intelligence in
engineered systems.

http://www.mit.edu/~mnick/brains-minds-and-machines-2015/

== Overview ==

Understanding intelligence and the brain requires theories at different
levels,
ranging from the biophysics of single neurons to algorithms, computations,
and a
theory of learning. In this symposium, we aim to bring together researchers
from
machine learning, artificial intelligence, neuroscience, and cognitive
science
to present and discuss research that is focused on understanding
intelligence at
these different levels.

Central questions of the symposium include how intelligence is grounded in
computation, how these computations are implemented in neural systems, how
intelligence can be described via unifying mathematical theories, and how
we can
build intelligent machines based on these principles.

Our core goal is to develop a science of intelligence, which means
understanding
human intelligence and its basis in the circuits of the brain and the
biophysics
of neurons. We also believe that the engineering of tomorrow will need the
science of today, in the same way as the basic research of Hubel and Wiesel
in
the '60s was the foundation for today's deep learning architectures.

== Program Highlights ==

The symposium will consist of talks by invited speakers and a panel
discussion.
Invited speakers and panelists at the symposium include

- Surya Ganguli (Stanford)
- Demis Hassabis (Google DeepMind)
- Christof Koch (Allen Institute for Brain Science)
- Gabriel Kreiman (Harvard)
- Gary Marcus (NYU)
- Tomaso Poggio (MIT)
- Andrew Saxe (Harvard)