Connectionists: Wanted: Postdoc to catch fireflies

Xaq Pitkow xaq at cns.bcm.edu
Thu Sep 11 12:33:43 EDT 2014

POSITION: Xaq Pitkow's Computational Neuroscience group jointly at Rice University and the Baylor College of Medicine, in Houston, Texas, is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher who will develop theory and analyses of dynamic neural representations in animal brains. This is for a newly funded project to test how neural computations enable animals to catch fireflies in a virtual reality environment. The project will require multiple interlocking theoretical components and hands-on engagement with neural data analysis. We aim to understand the interplay between vision, spatial navigation, and decision-making in the face of uncertainty during a naturalistic, continuous-time task.

LAB ENVIRONMENT: Our research focuses on computational functions of neural networks, especially how they compute properties of the world using ambiguous sensory evidence. A few related topics include: distributed neural representations, biological algorithms for statistical inference, and computation by nonlinear recurrent networks. This project is a close collaboration with the labs of Dora Angelaki, Greg DeAngelis, and Paul Schrater, all highly quantitative researchers in behavioral and cognitive neuroscience.

QUALIFICATIONS: Important selection criteria include strong mathematical skills, practical knowledge of machine learning tools, and past research accomplishments. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in a relevant quantitative discipline, e.g. physics, math, machine learning, or statistics. Previous experience with neurobiology is advantageous but not essential.

APPLYING: Applicants should email a letter of research interests and CV to Xaq Pitkow (xaq(a)rice.edu). The position is available immediately, and we look forward to reviewing applications as they arrive.