Connectionists: CFP: AKBC 2014: NIPS Workshop on Automated Knowledge Base Construction

Sameer Singh sameer at cs.umass.edu
Sun Sep 7 14:54:30 EDT 2014

AKBC 2014 Call for Papers
=======================
4th Workshop on Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC) at NIPS 2014
=======================
December 13, 2014, Montreal, Canada
http://www.akbc.ws

Knowledge Base Construction
=======================
The advances in information extraction, machine learning, and natural
language processing have led to the creation of large knowledge bases (KBs)
from Web sources. Notable endeavors in this direction include
Wikipedia-based approaches (such as YAGO, DBpedia, and Freebase), systems
that extract from the entire Web (such as NELL, Knowledge Vault, and
PROSPERA) or from specific domains (such as Rexa), and open information
extraction approaches (TextRunner, PRISMATIC). This trend has led to new
applications that make use of semantics. Most prominently, all major search
engine providers (Yahoo!, Microsoft Bing, and Google) nowadays experiment
with semantic tools. The Semantic Web, too, benefits from the new
approaches.

With this year’s workshop, we would like to resume the positive experiences
from three previous workshops: AKBC-2010 (http://akbc.xrce.xerox.com/),
AKBC-WEKEX-2012 (http://akbcwekex2012.wordpress.com/), and AKBC 2013 (
http://akbc.ws/2013). The AKBC-2014 workshop will serve as a forum for
researchers working in the area of automated knowledge harvesting from
text. By having invited talks by leading researchers from industry,
academia, and the government, and by focusing particularly on vision
papers, we aim to provide a vivid forum of discussion about the field of
automated knowledge base construction.

Call For Papers
=======================
We welcome papers documenting previously unpublished research; ongoing and
exciting preliminary work is perfectly fine. We are particularly interested
in visionary paper submissions. We aim for papers that express intriguing
and promising ideas -- focusing less on where science is today and more on
where it should go tomorrow.

Topic of interest include, but are not limited to:
* information integration; schema alignment; ontology alignment; ontology
construction
* monolingual alignment, alignment between knowledge bases and text
* joint inference between text interpretation and knowledge base
* pattern and semantic analysis of natural language, reading the web,
learning by reading
* scalable computation; distributed computation; probabilistic databases
* information retrieval; search on mixtures of structured and unstructured
data
* machine learning; unsupervised, lightly-supervised and
distantly-supervised learning; learning from naturally-available data
* human-computer collaboration in KB construction; automated population of
wikis
* dynamic data, online/on-the-fly adaptation of knowledge
* inference; scalable approximate inference
* languages, toolkits and systems for automated knowledge base construction
* demonstrations of existing automatically-built knowledge bases

Invited Talks
=======================
* William Cohen, CMU
* Oren Etzioni, Allen’s Institute for Artificial Intelligence
* Ramanathan Guha, Google
* Andrew McCallum, UMass Amherst
* Tom Mitchell, CMU
* Kevin Murphy, Google Research
* Hoifung Poon, Microsoft Research
* Chris Re, Stanford University
* Amarnag Subramanya, Google Research
* Jason Weston, Facebook Research

Submission
=======================
We welcome ongoing and exciting preliminary work. We are particularly
interested in visionary paper submissions. We aim for papers that express
intriguing and promising ideas — focusing less on where science is today
and more on where it should go tomorrow.

Please format your papers using the standard NIPS Style files, and restrict
it to 4 pages (excluding references). Since the reviewing will not be
double blind, please include author information and the \nipsfinalcopy flag.

Style files: http://nips.cc/Conferences/2014/PaperInformation/StyleFiles
Submission site: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=akbc2014

Important Dates
=======================
* Submission Due: **October 17**, 2014 (23:59 PDT, UTC-7)
* Acceptance Notification: November 3, 2014
* Camera-ready Due: November 28, 2014
* Workshop: December 13, 2014

Organizers
* Sebastian Riedel, University College London, UK
* Sameer Singh, University of Washington, USA
* Fabian M. Suchanek, Télécom ParisTech University, France
* Partha Pratim Talukdar, Indian Institute of Science, India