Connectionists: How the brain works

Brad Wyble bwyble at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:01:15 EDT 2014

I concur with Dan. I'd caution anyone against the idea that a good theory
of brain function should also ascribe to standards of mathematical
aesthetics (i.e. that it can be reduced to a single function). Nature is
functionally elegant, but that does not also mean that it can be reduced to
an elegant mathematical formalism.

That said, I really like the question posed by Janet, which is to wonder at
when the research community at large should start to take a new model
seriously. I don't think that there is a clear answer to this question  but
there do seem to be two major factors:  one is the degree to which the
model compresses data into a simpler form (i.e. how good is the theory),
and the other is the degree to which the model fills a perceived
explanatory void in the field.  Models that are rapidly adopted hit both of
these marks.

-Brad

--
Brad Wyble