Connectionists: IDEA Workshop @ KDD 2014 - Papers due June 20, 2014

Polo Chau dchau at cs.cmu.edu
Fri May 16 15:08:12 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I'm co-organizing the IDEA workshop at this year's KDD (Christos too!) in New York City.

We welcome many kinds of papers as long as they fit the IDEA theme — interactive data exploration and analysis (e.g., demos, short papers, white papers, etc.). Submission due on June 20. Submission due on June 20.

I've attached the "call for paper" below. Visit our website for more details:
http://poloclub.gatech.edu/idea2014/

I'm also attaching a small version of our poster. Full version available on our website.

Thanks!
Polo

* * *

Call for Papers - IDEA @ KDD 2014

KDD 2014 Workshop on Interactive Data Exploration and Analysis.
Sunday, August 24. New York City, NY, USA

IDEA is a full-day workshop organized in conjunction with the The ACM
SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge, Discovery and Data Mining in New York City, USA,
on 24 August 2014. Last year’s IDEA at KDD 2013 in Chicago was a great success.
Join us this year at New York City!

Paper submission deadline: June 20, 2014
http://poloclub.gatech.edu/idea2014/

* Workshop Goals

We aim to address the development of data mining techniques that allow users to
interactively explore their data, receiving near-instant updates to every requested
refinement. Our focus and emphasis is on interactivity and effective integration of
techniques from data mining, visualization and human-computer interaction. In other
words, we explore how the best of these different, related domains can be combined
such that the sum is greater than the parts.

* Topics of Interest include, but are not limited to

- interactive data mining algorithms
- visualizations for interactive data mining
- demonstrations of interactive data mining
- quick, high-level data analysis methods
- any-time data mining algorithms
- visual analytics
- methods that allow meaningful intermediate results
- data surrogates
- on-line algorithms
- adaptive stream mining algorithms
- theoretical/complexity analysis of instant data mining
- learning from user input for action replication/prediction
- active learning / mining

* Submission Information

We welcome both novel research papers, demo papers, work-in-progress papers,
and visionary papers. All papers will be peer reviewed.

Submissions should be in PDF, written in English, with a maximum of 10 pages.
Shorter papers are welcome.
Format your paper using the standard double-column ACM Proceedings Style
 http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates

Submit at EasyChair:
 http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=idea14

At least one author of an accepted paper must attend the workshop to present
the work.

* Important Dates

Submission   : June 20, 2014, 23:59 EST
Acceptance   : July 7, 2014
Camera-ready : July 21, 2014
Workshop     : August 24, 2014

* Further information and Contact

Website: http://poloclub.gatech.edu/idea2014/
Email: idea14kdd (at) gmail.com

Best regards,

Polo Chau, Matthijs van Leeuwen, Jilles Vreeken, and Christos Faloutsos