Connectionists: REMINDER - AAi Public Short Course - 'Recommendation Systems - an Introduction' - Thursday 3 April 2014

Advanced Analytics AdvancedAnalytics at uts.edu.au
Sun Mar 23 20:01:47 EDT 2014

Dear Colleague,
REMINDER - AAi Public Short Course - 'Recommendation Systems - an Introduction' -  Thursday 3 April 2014
https://shortcourses-bookings.uts.edu.au/Clientview/Schedules/ScheduleDetail.aspx?ScheduleID=1588&EventID=1325
AA's short course  'Recommendation Systems - an Introduction' may be of interest to you or others in your organisation or network.

*         Have you ever been amazed that the products an online retailer suggested to you are just what you want to buy? Do you know what tricks are played in the background to enable such intelligent recommendations? These intelligent recommendations are due to the recommender system

*         Nowadays, the mainstream technology for personalized recommendation is collaborative filtering (CF). Collaborative filtering is a computational approach, which predicts a user's preference of an item by finding like-minded users based on their historical records

*         To introduce this rising technology to a broad audience from academics and industries, we propose a one-day short course, including four sessions: 1) Overview, 2) Techniques, 3) Challenges, and 4) Case studies and lab exercises.
This program is particularly useful for:
All those involved in BIG DATA for their organisation:

 *   Students
 *   Researchers
 *   Academics
 *   Industry Practitioners
Program topics:

 *   9:00 am - 10:15am: RS Overview - Dr Guandong Xu
 *   10:30 am - 12:15pm: State-of-the-art techniques in RS - Dr Bin Li

 *   1:00pm - 2:15: Challenges and emerging Techniques in RS - Dr Shlomo Berkovsky
 *   2:15pm - 4:30pm: Recommendation Engine Case studies and lab exercise - Dr Guandong Xu
Short Course outcomes:
Upon completion of this course students will:

 *   Understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of RS
 *   Get the insight of main stream CF mechanism, and know the key challenges in RS
 *   Be aware of new and poetical techniques emerging in RS, such as social recommendation
 *   Be able to use Apache Mahout to implement a toy recommendation engine

Please register here https://shortcourses-bookings.uts.edu.au/Clientview/Schedules/ScheduleDetail.aspx?ScheduleID=1588&EventID=1325
An important foundation short course in the AAI series of advanced data analytic short courses - please view this short course and others here http://www.uts.edu.au/research-and-teaching/our-research/advanced-analytics-institute-p2/short-courses/aai-education-and-0
Please note we also design and deliver in house corporate training on Advanced Data Analytics.
We are happy to discuss at your convenience.

Thank you and regards.
Colin Wise
Operations Manager

Faculty of Engineering & IT
The Advanced Analytics Institute
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF3ED6.6032D020]
University of Technology, Sydney
Blackfriars Campus Building 2, Level 1
Tel. +61 2 9514 9267<tel:%2B61%202%209514%209267>
M. 0448 916 589<tel:0448%20916%20589>
Email: Colin.Wise at uts.edu.au<mailto:Colin.Wise at uts.edu.au>
AAI:  www.analytics.uts.edu.au/<http://www.analytics.uts.edu.au/>

Reminder - AAI Short Course - Behaviour Analytics - an Introduction on Tuesday 29 April 2014 https://shortcourses-bookings.uts.edu.au/ClientView/Schedules/ScheduleDetail.aspx?ScheduleID=1572&EventID=1294

AAI Education and Training Short Courses Survey - you may be interested in completing our AAI Survey at  http://analytics.uts.edu.au/shortcourses/survey.html

AAI Email Policy - should you wish to not receive this periodic communication on Data Analytics Learning please reply to our email (to sender) with UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject. We will delete you from our database. Thank you for your past and future support.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.