Connectionists: how the brain works?

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:37:19 EDT 2014

Having a bunch of people doing whatever they want in parallel is an
extremely inefficient way to solve a problem. The way to solve large
problems most effectively is to have a few architects at the top design the
research paradigm as a system of interacting modules. The architects
maintain conceptual integrity and the modules (research programs) can be
implemented in parallel. This is not scientific ADD. This is how we put a
man on the moon. <http://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch4-5.html> Nobody is
steering this ship, and the end result is either going to take forever, be
a big mess that nobody knows how to make sense of, or an AI that takes over
the world. It would be much better to defer the direction of our efforts to
a team of our best "ADD thinkers" than it is for us all to pick a random
topic, pretend it's the most important thing in the universe and then
justify it endlessly in order to make ourselves feel better.

And with that, I'm out to continue on my merry rational ADD way:)

$.02

Brian