Connectionists: How the brain works

Geoffrey Hinton geoffrey.hinton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:40:37 EST 2014

Actually, evolution did invent the time-shared wheel.

To go over rough ground it needs to be 6 feet in diameter with very soft
suspension.
The way to do this without being too heavy or large is to time-share two
small sections of the rim each connected to the axle by "spokes" (in
compression rather than tension) that can easily change their length.  The
swapping in and out of the spokes is not as energy efficient as a wheel but
it solves the problem of supplying the rim with nutrients.

Geoff