Connectionists: developmental robotics

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Wed Feb 12 08:07:27 EST 2014

> As far as language development is concerned, I would even say that most work I know assumes advanced prior computational structures for things like unification and recursion,

Sorry again to probably be revealing my ignorance on current practices in a field, but, isn’t the "prior computational structure", in this case, the actual structure of cerebral cortex itself.  Just like the structure of music, the structure of language, it seems to me, is very likely to deeply reflect the core structure of cerebral cortical networks, first and foremost.

A few years ago a friend of mine Jaron Lanier and I were talking about possible influences of the computational structure of the olfactory system on language.  What was an off the cuff conversation ended up as a chapter in his book “you are not a gadget” -

How olfaction might have played a crucial role in the evolution of human language

Jaron didn’t get my sense completely right, but the general idea is there.

As I have mentioned before, I believe that a deeper understanding of the computational requirements for the olfactory system and how those requirements may be met by the core structure of cerebral cortical networks (which has nothing to do with columns), at least represents a different approach to understanding systems like language (and vision).

Jim

> [...]
> C Yu, DH Ballard, RN Aslin - Cognitive science, 2005
>
> [18]  M. Maniadakisa, P. Trahaniasa, J. Tani: “Self-organizing high-order cognitive functions in artificial agents: implications for possible prefrontal cortex mechanisms”, Neural Networks, Vol33, pp.76-87, 2012.
> http://neurorobot.kaist.ac.kr/pdf_files/Maniadakis-NN2012.pdf
>

> On 11 Feb 2014, at 15:15, Gary Marcus <gary.marcus at nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Pierre (and others)
>>
>> Thanks for all the links. I am a fan, in principle, but much of the developmental robotics work I have seen sticks rigidly to a fairly “blank-slate” perspective, perhaps needlessly so. I’d especially welcome references to work in which researchers have given robots a significant head start, so that the learning that takes place has a strong starting point. Has anyone, for example, tried to build a robot that starts with the cognitive capacities of a two-year-old (rather than a newborn), and goes from there? Or taken seriously the nativist arguments of Chomsky, Pinker, and Spelke and tried to build a robot that is innately endowed with concepts like “person”, “object”, “set”, and “place”?
>>
>> Best,
>> Gary
>>
>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:58 AM, Pierre-Yves Oudeyer <pierre-yves.oudeyer at inria.fr> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the view put forward by Gart strongly resonates with the approach that has been taken in the developmental robotics community in the last 10 years.
>>> I like to explain developmental robotics as the study of developmental constraints and architectures which guide learning mechanisms so as to allow actual lifelong acquisition and adaptation of skills in the large high-dimensional real world with severely limited time and space resources.
>>> Such an approach considers centrally the No Free Lunch idea, and indeed tries to identifies and understand specific families of guiding mechanisms that allow corresponding families of learners to acquire families of skills in some families of environments.
>>> For pointers, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_robotics
>>>
>>> Thus, in a way, while lifelong learning and adaptation is a key object of study, most work is not so much about elaborating new models of learning mechanisms, but about studying what (often changing) properties of the inner and outer environment allow to canalise them.
>>> Examples of such mechanisms include body and neural maturation, active learning (selection of action that provide informative and useful data), emotional and motivational systems, cognitive biases for inference, self-organisation or socio-cultural scaffolding, and their interactions.
>>>
>>> This body of work is unfortunately not yet well connected (except a few exceptions) with the connectionnist community, but I am convinced more mutual exchange would be valuable.
>>>
>>> For those interested, we have a dedicated:

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neurobiology

Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies.

15355 Lambda Drive

San Antonio, Texas  78245

Phone:  210 382 0553

Email: bower at uthscsa.edu

Web: http://www.bower-lab.org

twitter: superid101

linkedin: Jim Bower

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged or contain privileged and confidential information. This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-mail, or

any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that this e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be

immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case, this e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted from your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard copies made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by e-mail immediately.