Connectionists: Deep Belief Nets (2006) / Neural History Compressor (1991) or Hierarchical Temporal Memory

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 10 18:56:46 EST 2014

On Feb 10, 2014, at 4:51 PM, Brian J Mingus <brian.mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> That said, evolution is a blind designer. A human being can out-design billions of years of evolution in a few years with nice supercomputer and plenty of lab subjects. So, if your goal is to understand exactly what a human being is, you might study human development. But if your goal is to create something more sophisticated than a human without the annoyance of studying exactly how a human develops intelligence
[a reasonable goal, depending on your research program]

> , you might use deep networks with pretraining that automatically extract features that evolution baked in.

the key question is whether extracting features is, in itself, enough to replicate (or even better) the blind handiwork of evolution. my own guess is “absolutely not”.  Evolution has a done a fine job with evo-crafting features — which deep networks might plausibly hope to match—  but that there’s a lot of highly-selected circuitry downstream that probably cannot readily be captured through the mere acquisition of hierarchies of features.

On the left is a figure from Solari and Stoner’s magnificent cognitive consilience diagram, which I encourage all students of cortical neuroscience to contemplate (click to zoom in). On the right is a figure representing Google’s cat detector, a state of the art unsupervised learner, yet still no match for humans when it comes to invariance or in the use of top-down visual information. Is the one on the right genuinely a useful approximation of the one of the left?

In my own view there is an impedance mismatch between most current models and the intricacy of biological reality.

Cheers,
Gary