Connectionists: Deep Belief Nets (2006) / Neural History Compressor (1991) or Hierarchical Temporal Memory

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Mon Feb 10 14:40:35 EST 2014

Nice to see this started again, even after the “get me off the mailing list” email.  :-)  For those of you relatively new to the field - it was discussions like this, I believe, that were responsible for growing connectionists to begin with - 25 years ago.  Anyway:

Well put - although, there is a long history of engineers and others coming up with interesting new ideas after contemplating biological structures  - that actually made a contribution to engineering.   Lots of current examples.  However, success in the engineering world does not at all necessarily mean that this is how the brain actually does it.

One more point - it is almost certain that a great deal of the computational power of the nervous system comes from interactions in the dendrite - which almost certainly can not be boiled down to the traditional summation of synaptic inputs over time and space followed by some simple thresholding mechanism.  Therefore, in addition to the vow of chastity for any of you who are really in this business for the love of neuroscience, I also suggest that you focus on the computational erogenous zone of the dendrites.  The Internet is a remarkable and complex network, but without understanding how the information it delivers is rendered and influences the computers it is connected to, probably rather difficult to figure out the network itself.

Jim

On Feb 10, 2014, at 9:56 AM, Ali Minai <minaiaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with both Juergen and John. On the one hand, most neural processing must - almost necessarily - emerge from the dynamics of many recurrent networks interacting at multiple scales. I that sense, deep learning with recurrent networks is a fruitful place to start in trying to understand this. On the other hand, I also think that the term "deep learning" has become unnecessarily constrained to refer to a particular style of layered architecture and certain types of learning algorithms. We need to move beyond these - broaden the definition to include networks with more complex architectures and learning processes that include development, and even evolution. And to extend the model beyond just "neural" networks to encompass the entire brain-body network, including its mechanical and autonomic components.
>
> One problem is that when engineers and computer scientists try to understand the brain, we keep getting distracted by all the sexy "applications" that arise as a side benefit of our models, go chasing after them, and eventually lose track of the original goal of understanding how the brain works. This results in a lot of very useful neural network models for vision, time-series prediction, data analysis, etc., but doesn't tell us much about the brain. Some of us need to take a vow of chastity and commit ourselves anew to the discipline of biology.
>
> Ali
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Juergen Schmidhuber <juergen at idsia.ch> wrote:
> John,
>
> perhaps your view is a bit too pessimistic. Note that a single RNN already is a general computer. In principle, dynamic RNNs can map arbitrary observation sequences to arbitrary computable sequences of motoric actions and internal attention-directing operations, e.g., to process cluttered scenes, or to implement development (the examples you mentioned). From my point of view, the main question is how to exploit this universal potential through learning. A stack of dynamic RNN can sometimes facilitate this. What it learns can later be collapsed into a single RNN [3].
>
> Juergen
>
> http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/whatsnew.html
>

> On Feb 7, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Juyang Weng <weng at cse.msu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Juergen:
> >
> > You wrote: A stack of recurrent NN.  But it is a wrong architecture as far as the brain is concerned.
> >
> > Although my joint work with Narendra Ahuja and Thomas S. Huang at UIUC was probably the first
> > learning network that used the deep Learning idea for learning from clutter scenes (Cresceptron ICCV 1992 and IJCV 1997),
> > I gave up this static deep learning idea later after we considered the Principle 1: Development.

> [...]

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neurobiology

Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies.

15355 Lambda Drive

San Antonio, Texas  78245

Phone:  210 382 0553

Email: bower at uthscsa.edu

Web: http://www.bower-lab.org

twitter: superid101

linkedin: Jim Bower

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged or contain privileged and confidential information. This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-mail, or

any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that this e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be

immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case, this e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted from your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard copies made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by e-mail immediately.