Connectionists: Invitation to contribute to Research Topic for Frontiers in Neuroanatomy

Hermann Cuntz hermann.neuro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 12:29:28 EST 2013

Dear all,

We would like to advertise our Research Topic for Frontiers in Neuroanatomy
(impact factor 4.1) called "Quantitative analysis of neuroanatomy", see
below for a brief description and please visit our website:

<http://www.frontiersin.org/neuroanatomy/researchtopics/quantitative_analysi
s_of_neuro/2028>
http://www.frontiersin.org/neuroanatomy/researchtopics/quantitative_analysis
_of_neuro/2028

We look forward to receiving your abstracts!

Best wishes,

Julian Budd, University of Sussex, United Kingdom

Hermann Cuntz, Goethe University, Germany

Stephen Eglen, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom

Patrik Krieger, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden

  _____

Quantitative analysis of neuroanatomy

The true revolution in the age of digital neuroanatomy is the ability to
extensively quantify anatomical structures and thus investigate
structure-function relationships in great detail. Large scale projects were
recently launched with the aim of providing infrastructure for brain
simulations. These projects will increase the need for a precise
understanding of brain structure, e.g., through statistical analysis and
models.

The aim of this Research Topic is to examine theoretical and experimental
work directed at a detailed and comprehensive quantitative understanding of
neuroanatomy. Integrating such knowledge with functional data should provide
a more complete understanding of how the nervous system in different animal
species is organized to generate appropriate behaviour. Three main areas
will be covered in this issue. Firstly, progress in understanding
neuroanatomical structures from applying novel mathematical and statistical
methods. Secondly, experimental or computational work providing a
quantitative analysis of microcircuit anatomy, cell distributions, cell
morphologies, intracellular compartmentalization etc. Thirdly, experimental
or computational studies of structural plasticity, and its effect on neural
computations, e.g., changes in spine size and synaptic plasticity; changes
in axonal projection patterns and cortical representations. Structural
plasticity includes plasticity during development, in response to injury or
disease and experience-induced plasticity.

We welcome contributions of original research articles (both computational
and experimental studies), review articles, and methodological advances
related to the mathematical and statistical analysis of structure-function
relationships in a nervous system. The emphasis is on scientific research at
the level of cells and microcircuits using methods providing a detailed
description of the underlying neuroanatomy.

Deadline for abstract submission:             01 Dec 2013

Deadline for full article submission:          01 May 2014