Connectionists: Deep Learning: MICCAI Grand Challenge / Chinese characters / Timeline / Jobs ...

Juergen Schmidhuber juergen at idsia.ch
Tue Nov 5 10:15:01 EST 2013

Announcements on Deep Learning:

22 Sept 2013: our deep neural networks won the MICCAI 2013 Grand Challenge on Mitosis Detection (important for cancer prognosis):
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/deeplearningwinsMICCAIgrandchallenge.html

1 Sept 2013: our deep NN are the best artificial offline recognisers of Chinese characters from the ICDAR 2013 competition (3755 classes), approaching human performance:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.0261

Oct 2013: My first Deep Learner of 1991 + Deep Learning timeline 1962-2013 (also summarises the origins of backpropagation, still the central algorithm of Deep Learning). An experiment in massive open online peer review:
www.deeplearning.me

Jobs 2013/2014: Join the team that won more international competitions in machine learning & pattern recognition than any other team:
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/eu2013.html

Sept/Oct 2013: G+ posts on Deep Learning
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100849856540000067209/posts

-- Older news, with recent updates: --

2012: Deep NN wins brain image segmentation contest (relevant for the huge brain projects in EU and US):
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/deeplearningwinsbraincontest.html

2012: 8th international pattern recognition contest won since 2009
http://www.kurzweilai.net/how-bio-inspired-deep-learning-keeps-winning-competitions

2011: First superhuman visual pattern recognition
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/superhumanpatternrecognition.html

2009: First official international pattern recognition contests won by Deep Learning (LSTM RNN)
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/handwriting.html
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/rnn.html

1991: Fundamental Deep Learning Problem discovered and analysed
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/fundamentaldeeplearningproblem.html

Deeplearn it!
www.deeplearning.it

Jürgen Schmidhuber
Scientific Director of the Swiss AI Lab IDSIA
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/