Connectionists: Computational Modeling of Bilingualism Special Issue

Stephen José Hanson jose at psychology.rutgers.edu
Tue Mar 26 06:57:10 EDT 2013

"As far as I understand, traditional connectionist architectures cannot
do abstraction well as Marvin Minsky, Michael Jordan and many others
correctly stated."

Actually this not the case, there have been many of us over the years
showing that recurrent networks for one do do abstract generalization
over types and tokens and literally bootstraps required
representational structure as the networks learn. See a couple of
papers below.

Hanson S. J. & Negishi M., (2002) On the Emergence of Rules in Neural
Networks, Neural Computation, 14, 1-24.

Hanson, C. & Hanson S. J. (1996), Development of Schemata During Event
Parsing: Neisser's Perceptual Cycle as a Recurrent Connectionist
Network, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 8, 119-134.

And I am pretty sure neither Marvin Minskey or Michael Jordan made a
claim about cognitive/perceptual abstraction of recurrent networks.

Steve

Tue, 26 Mar 2013 03:30:22 +0000 __________

Recurrent neural networks can represent, and in some cases learn and
generalise classes of languages beyond finite state machines. For a
review, of their capabilities see the excellent edited book by Kolen
and Kramer. e.g., ch 8 is on "Representation beyond finite states"; and
ch9 is "Universal Computation and Super-Turing Capabilities".

Kolen and Kramer (2001) "A Field Guide Dynamical Recurrent Networks",
IEEE Press.

From:
connectionists-bounces at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu<mailto:connectionists-bounces at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu>
[mailto:connectionists-bounces at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu] On Behalf Of
Juyang Weng Sent: Sunday, 24 March 2013 9:17 AM To:
connectionists at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu<mailto:connectionists at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Connectionists: Computational Modeling of Bilingualism
Special Issue

Ping Li:

As far as I understand, traditional connectionist architectures cannot
do abstraction well as Marvin Minsky, Michael Jordan and many others
correctly stated.  For example, traditional neural networks cannot
learn a finite automaton (FA) until recently (i.e., the proof of our
Developmental Network).  We all know that FA is the basis for all
probabilistic symbolic networks (e.g., Markov models) but they are all
not connectionist.

After seeing your announcement, I am confused with the book title
"Bilingualism Special Issue: Computational Modeling of Bilingualism"
but with your comment "most of the models are based on connectionist
architectures."

Without further clarifications from you, I have to predict that these
connectionist architectures in the book are all grossly wrong in terms
of brain-capable connectionist natural language processing, since they
cannot learn an FA.   This means that they cannot generalize to
state-equivalent but unobserved word sequences.   Without this basic
capability required for natural language processing, how can they claim
connectionist natural language processing, let alone bilingualism?

I am concerned that many papers proceed with specific problems without
understanding the fundamental problems of the traditional
connectionism. The fact that the biological brain is connectionist does
not necessarily mean that all connectionist researchers know about the
brain's connectionism.

-John Weng