Connectionists: modularity vs. sparsity

Lee Giles giles at ist.psu.edu
Wed Mar 6 09:43:50 EST 2013

I believe Joshua has an interesting point. In our '97 paper in IEEE TSP
titled "A Delay Damage Model Selection Algorithm for NARX Neural
Networks," we found significant performance improvement with
memory pruning which is a special kind of imposed cost on connection
lengths.
It would be interesting to redo these experiments to see if modularity
as defined by Clune, et al. emerges. I speculate it would.

(Paper attached for convenience)