Connectionists: New paper on why modules evolve, and how to evolve modular neural networks

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Fri Feb 22 21:03:09 EST 2013

Dear Richard, Steve and other connectionist colleagues,

Many researchers have said that neuroscience today is rich in data and
poor in theory.  I agree.   Unlike organs in the body, brain is
basically a signal processor.  Therefore, it should have an overarching
theory well explained in mathematics.

However, I am probably a minority to hold the following position. After
coming up an overarching theory of the brain, I start to disbelieve the
modular view of the brain.   A modular view of the brain is like to
categorize plants based on apparent look instead of their genes.

The apparent Brodmann areas in the brain should be largely due to the
body organs (eyes, ears, skins, muscles, glands etc.).   The
re-assignment of visual areas to other sensing modality in the brain of
a blind person seems to justify my this theoretical view, since my
theory explains why and how this re-assignment takes place.   If my
theory is correct, neuroscience textbooks should be very differently
written in the future.  Until then, few care to pay attention to this
theory.

Humbly,

-Juyang Weng

Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
3115 Engineering Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
Tel: 517-353-4388