Connectionists: New paper on why modules evolve, and how to evolve modular neural networks

Juergen Schmidhuber juergen at idsia.ch
Wed Feb 13 09:48:04 EST 2013

The paper mentions that Santiago Ramón y Cajal already pointed out
that evolution has created mostly short connections in animal brains.

Minimization of connection costs should also encourage modularization,
e.g., http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.0118 (2012).

But who first had such a wire length term in an objective function to
be minimized by evolutionary computation or other machine learning
methods?
I am aware of pioneering work by Legenstein and Maass:

R. A. Legenstein and W. Maass. Neural circuits for pattern recognition
with small total wire length. Theoretical Computer Science,
287:239-249, 2002.
R. A. Legenstein and W. Maass. Wire length as a circuit complexity
measure. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 70:53-72, 2005.

Is there any earlier relevant work? Pointers will be appreciated.

Jürgen Schmidhuber
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/whatsnew.html