Connectionists: Faculty Position in Information Organization at UC Berkeley

John Chuang chuang at ischool.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 11 08:09:26 EST 2013

The School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley invites
applications for a tenured faculty position at the Full or Associate
Professor level, with an expected start date of July 2014, in the field of
Information Organization.

Candidates for this position should have a demonstrated record of research
in information organization and retrieval. This could include a focus on
one or more of the following areas: conceptual modeling of information
systems; computational approaches to cognition; semantic representation;
vocabulary and metadata design; classification and standardization;
category learning at scale; and practical computational processes for
analyzing information in both textual and non-textual formats.

A successful candidate will possess appropriate technical expertise and
research excellence, and be committed to working on issues related to
information and/or information system design and development in a
multidisciplinary setting. Relevant professional or industry experience,
including hands-on experience with large-scale collections, is also
desirable.

Qualifications include a doctoral degree or equivalent in a related
discipline (such as cognitive science, computer science, linguistics,
psychology) or professional field (information science, digital
humanities). The successful applicant will be expected to establish a high
quality research program and to teach both graduate courses in his/her area
of specialty as well as to provide service to the School and University.

The School of Information is the most recently formed school on the
Berkeley campus. We are a multidisciplinary professional school. Our
faculty members come from diverse fields, including political science,
sociology, economics, law, engineering, computer science, media arts and
design, and information science. We share a commitment to building a new
field of scholarship and practice that addresses the design of new genres
of information, information systems, and media, information policy and
ethics, and the relationships among information/ information systems and
individuals, organizations, and society.

Our master’s graduates are employed in corporations and start-ups as well
as government and non-profit organizations. Their jobs typically involve
information design and architecture, user-centered design, document
engineering, project management, consulting, web-based information
services, and information policy and science. Graduates of our Ph.D.
program have taken positions in places such as the Heinz School of Public
Policy and Management at Carnegie Mellon, the Berkman Center for Internet
and Society at Harvard, and Microsoft Research. We also offer undergraduate
courses in fields such as search engines, new media, and the history of
information.

Applications must include a cover letter, CV, select papers, short
statements of teaching and research interests, and contact information for
three references. Letters of recommendation will be solicited from the
references of the finalists. All letters will be treated as confidential
per University of California policy and California state law. Please
arrange for letters of recommendation to be uploaded directly by
recommenders. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are
provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the
UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality:
http://apo.chance.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html. Applications must be submitted
online before January 24, 2014, at:
https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF00257. Questions may be sent to
dean at ischool.berkeley.edu.

The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative
Action Employer. We are interested in candidates who will contribute to
diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching,
research, and service. UC Berkeley is committed to addressing the family
needs of faculty, including dual-career couples and single parents. For
more information see http://calcierge.berkeley.edu/.

--
John Chuang
UC Berkeley School of Information