Connectionists: Post-doc and PhD positions at UNSW-Canberra, Australia

Hussein Abbass H.Abbass at adfa.edu.au
Mon Dec 9 06:44:16 EST 2013

http://www.husseinabbass.net/positions.html

Position 1: 3-year fixed-term Post-doc on Computational Red Teaming Models of Challenges [CLOSING DATE: 6-January-2014]
See Below for Details

Position 2: 3-year PhD Scholarship on Computational Models for Automatic Skill Assessment [CLOSING DATE: 1-February-2014 or until position is filled]
See Below for Details

Position 1: 3-year fixed-term Post-doc on Computational Red Teaming Models of Challenges

(Research Associate, Academic Level A: $65,654- $87,540pa (+super))

Note: Minimum Salary for a Candidate who has been awarded the PhD degree is $81,844pa

[CLOSING DATE: 6-January-2014]

About the project

Do you have a PhD in cognitive or computer science? Do you like challenges? Here is your opportunity to understand what a "challenge" is, how the brain formulates a "challenge", how to mathematically and computationally model a "change", and how to design artificial intelligence algorithms to "challenge" humans and machines when performing a task?

This project is a recently funded Australian Research Council Discovery Project entitled "Challenging systems to discover vulnerabilities using computational red teaming". Computational Red Teaming (CRT) aims at developing models to 'intentionally' 'challenge' human thinking to discover vulnerabilities and improve human skills in assessing the risk of problems with 'intentional' threats. The successful applicant will be required to teach one subject per annum. Our aim is to have a balanced academic environment that will enable the applicant to be competitive by the end of this project to pursue his/her dream in academia. With a teaching load of one subject per annum, the candidate will develop and sustain their teaching skills without sacrificing their ability to undertake high impact research and publish high quality papers.

The ideal candidate for the post-doc position

The ideal candidate will be a researcher who likes to work at the interface of cognitive science and artificial intelligence. We are looking for a researcher who knows how to balance being goal and task focused, thinking with no boundaries, and believing that the impossible is possible and is where innovation lies.

Our School

The School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) employs approximately 70 academic staff and a further 30 technical staff. The School teaches approximately 300 EFTSU of student load each year. In SEIT, researchers currently produce in excess of 350 research publications annually. The external research income in 2013 was more than $A2 million.

Our Team

SEIT hosts one of the largest groups in Australia working on and using computational intelligence techniques. The team for this project is a small team within the large group. Led by Hussein Abbass, www.husseinabbass.net<http://www.husseinabbass.net>, we enjoy working at the interface between different fields of science. We complement each other expertise to produce innovative solutions to the problem under investigation. We transformed fundamental research to significant practical solution such as air traffic control and capability development. We enjoy blue sky research that asks the right question and asks the question right. Our success is internationally recognized with friends and collaborators across the globe.

How to apply?

You have to visit the website at http://hr.unsw.adfa.edu.au/_form/index.php

It is  a requirement that you provide a cover letter, with each selection criterion listed in the position description document highlighted and addressed independently. Without addressing the selection criteria, your application can't be evaluated. Please address the selection criteria in light of the position description. As a guideline, half to one page per criterion is expected.

For additional information about this position, please contact Prof. Hussein Abbass on (02) 6268 8158 or email h.abbass at adfa.edu.au<mailto:h.abbass at adfa.edu.au> or hussein.abbass at gmail.com<mailto:hussein.abbass at gmail.com>

An applicant may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role.

Applications must be submitted online. Instructions can be found at http://hr.unsw.adfa.edu.au/_form/index.php

Position 2: PhD Scholarship on Computational Models for Automatic Skill Assessment (Stipend $24,653 per annum tax free)

Note: International Students will need to apply for a tuition fees scholarship

[CLOSING DATE: 1-February-2014]

School of Engineering and Information Technology
University of New South Wales - Canberra Campus

The ideal candidate for this PhD scholarship

You must have either a Bachelor Degree with first class honour or equivalent; or a Bachelor with a Master Degree and Publication records in Cognitive Science, Computer Science, or Mathematics. You must have the flexibility to work on a multi-disciplinary project. This project will have elements of Cognitive Science, data mining and Mathematics.

This project focuses on designing behavioural data mining algorithms to infer the skill set of a player during the interaction with a human or a machine while performing a task. The exact task will be determined at the start of the candidature. The candidate needs to balance passion and ambition with determination to produce high quality thesis as evidenced by high quality publications.

Our Team

The University of New South Wales (UNSW) is in the top 100 universities internationally and one of the top 8 research intensive universities (known as GO8) in Australia. The Canberra campus is located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, the Capital of Australia. We enjoy a highly multi-cultural environment with students and staff from all over the world. We respect diversity and merit-based selection
The School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) has more than 170 PhD students. SEIT hosts one of the largest groups in Australia working on and using computational intelligence techniques. The team for this project is a small team within the large group. We enjoy working at the interface between different fields of science. We complement each other expertise to produce innovative solutions to the problem under investigation. We transformed fundamental research to significant practical solutions for air traffic control and capability development. We enjoy blue sky research that asks the right question and asks the question right. Our success is internationally recognized with friends and collaborators across the globe.

For additional information about this position, please contact Prof. Hussein Abbass on (02) 6268 8158 or email h.abbass at adfa.edu.au<mailto:h.abbass at adfa.edu.au> or hussein.abbass at gmail.com<mailto:hussein.abbass at gmail.com>

Prof. Hussein Abbass (FORS, FACS, AFAIM, GAICD, SMIEEE, MATCA) | School of Engineering and Information Technology | University of New South Wales - Canberra at the Australian Defence Force Academy Campus | Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia | Tel: +61-2-62688158<tel:+61-2-62688158> | Fax: +61-2-62688276| www: http://www.husseinabbass.net/

THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
UNSW CANBERRA AT THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE ACADEMY
PO Box 7916, CANBERRA BC 2610, Australia
Web: http://unsw.adfa.edu.au

CRICOS Provider no. 00100G

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the views of UNSW.