Connectionists: CFP: ICML 2013 Workshop on Peer Reviewing and Publishing Models

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at umontreal.ca
Sat Apr 13 09:40:37 EDT 2013

Call for Papers

Peer Reviewing and Publishing Models: A workshop in conjunction with the
30th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2013), June 20 or
21, 2013, in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

________________________________
Important Dates:

Submission Deadline: 7 May 2013 (11:59pm PDT)
Author Notification: 14 May 2013
Workshop: June 20 or 21, 2013

Submission site:  http://openreview.net/icml-peer2013

________________________________
Topics

* Emerging methods of peer review, including conference/journal mixtures,
open peer review and the separation of publishing and evaluation.

* Emerging methods of open access publishing, including public
minimally-filtered archives, low-cost public web sites and paper publishing
and distributed mechanisms.

* Machine learning methods for aiding peer review, access, search,
suggestions, and analysis.

* New machine learning methods, and their evaluation.

* Experiences of recent and established experiments in publishing.

Overview
Across a wide range of scientific communities, peer reviewing and
publishing models are undergoing significant changes. These changes have
been motivated by the coupled objectives of improving the quality of the
reviewing process, reducing the workload on reviewers and ultimately
promoting the rapid dissemination of knowledge. Outside machine learning,
there are organizations such as VLDB, that have transitioned to a combined
conference/journal reviewing model where journal papers accepted by a
certain date are invited to be presented at the conference. There is also
the example of NIH NLM’s Biology Direct that have taken significant steps
toward increasing the transparency of the reviewing process by publishing
reviews alongside accepted papers.

Within the machine learning community, we are experimenting with a number
of alternative reviewing models. ICML 2013 has moved to a three phase
reviewing model aimed at transitioning to a mixed conference/journal model
similar to VLDB. This year will also see the first International Conference
on Learning Representations (
https://sites.google.com/site/representationlearning2013), a conference
that embraces the open peer review model promoted by Yann LeCun (
http://yann.lecun.com/ex/pamphlets/publishing-models.html). The realization
of this conference is critically dependent on the OpenReview.net system (
http://openreview.net), a open peer-review management system developed by
Andrew McCallum's group. OpenReview.net is one example of the kinds of
tools that have been developed to assist and improve peer review, access
and analysis.  By easing the organizational burden, these tools enable the
democratization of the process of disseminating scientific knowledge.

The goal of this workshop is to provide a venue to bring together
researchers from within our community as well as from other scientific
disciplines who share a common interest in improving peer reviewing and
publishing models. We wish to use this venue to share ideas and
experiences, both positive and negative, of open reviewing, open access
publishing models and the tools that support them. As the organizers of the
workshop we view it as essential that we provide an open atmosphere where
dissenting opinions and concerns over the open reviewing model are freely
expressed.

________________________________
Invited Speakers:

Yann LeCun, NYU, General Co-Chair ICLR  (confirmed)
John Langford, Microsoft, ICML 2012 Program Co-Chair (confirmed)
David McAllester, TTI, ICML 2013 Program Co-Chair  (confirmed)
Kevin Murphy, Google, JMLR Co-Editors-in-Chief
H. V. Jagadish, PVLDB Founding Editor-in-Chief
Rich Zemel, Laurent Charlin, U. Toronto, Toronto Matching System
Hanna Wallach, U. Mass
David Blei, Princeton

________________________________
Paper Topics

We welcome the submission of papers on all of the above topics. For example:

White-papers proposing methods of peer review.
White-papers describing recent experience with a publishing model.
System overview of existing open access infrastructure.
Technical papers on machine learning for citation suggestion or reviewer
assignment.
Technical papers on machine learning for topical analysis, trend analysis
or social network analysis related to supporting reviewing.
Technical papers on for information extraction, information integration or
knowledge base construction of bibliographic information.

Author Guidelines

White-papers may be 1-2 pages. Other technical papers should be 4-8 pages.
Formatting should otherwise follow the ICML 2013 standards, however, since
the review process is not double-blind, submissions need not be anonymized
and author names should be included. Further submission instructions will
be forthcoming. Previously published or currently in submission papers are
also encouraged (we will confirm with authors before publishing the papers
online).

Open Review:

Our workshop will be following the open reviewing system as introduced by
the International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR). In
particular, the submitted papers will be available for public comment after
the submission deadline. Along with the public comments, we will also
provide anonymous reviews by our program committee members. The decisions
for acceptance will be based on a combination of review scores and insights
from the public discourse. If you have any concerns or questions regarding
the reviewing process, please email us at
reviewing.workshop.icml2013 at gmail.com

Submission site: http://openreview.net/icml-peer2013

Organizers:

Andrew McCallum, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Aaron Courville, University of Montreal

For inquiries please contact us at: reviewing.workshop.icml2013 at gmail.com

--
Aaron C. Courville