Connectionists: New paper on why modules evolve, and how to evolve modular neural networks

Jeff Clune jeffclune at uwyo.edu
Mon Apr 1 22:00:25 EDT 2013

Dear John Weng,

The modularity definition you quote is not our definition of modularity. I'm not sure why you think it is, as ours is quite different and we do not cite Calabretta & Parisi, 2005. Please read our paper to understand the notion of modularity we cite, describe, and investigate.

Here is the PDF: http://jeffclune.com/publications/2013-CluneEtAl-EvolutionaryOriginsModularity-RoyalSociety.pdf

A relevant snippet from the first paragraph: "Networks are modular if they contain highly connected clusters of nodes that are sparsely connected to nodes in other clusters [4,8,9]."

4. Wagner GP, Pavlicev M, Cheverud JM. 2007 The road to modularity. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8, 921 – 931. (doi:10.1038/nrg2267)
8. Lipson H, 2007 Principles of modularity, regularity, and hierarchy for scalable systems. J. Biol. Phys. Chem. 7, 125 – 128.
9. Striedter G. 2005 Principles of brain evolution. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates.

Best regards,
Jeff Clune

Assistant Professor
Computer Science