Connectionists: 3490 fake conferences organized by WASET

Lee Giles giles at ist.psu.edu
Wed Sep 19 13:33:22 EDT 2012

Hi:

WASET runs quite a few conferences. Their committee for so many conferences
is quite small.

> http://www.waset.org/committees.php

These conferences appear to function as publication machines, primarily
for authors from institutions far from the mainstream. You pay a fee and
you get your paper(s) published.

>From their website, some of these conference publications seem to become
journal papers.
This makes their publication model very confusing.

There seems to be little or no reviewing and there have been cases of
plagiarism.

On the positive, all papers are free and readily accessed by the public.

Best,

Lee Giles