Connectionists: NEW REPRINT: Impaired Generalization of Learning in Patients with Alcohol Dependence.

Mark A. Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 5 17:09:14 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

The following link

http://www.gluck.edu/pdf/MattyassyAlcAlcEpub.pdf

leads to an online PDF of our new paper on
learning and generalization in patients with
alcohol dependence, done in collaboration with
our long-time collaborator in Hungary, Szabolcz
Keri. Paper details are:

Máttyássy, A., Kéri, S., Myers, C. E., Levy-Gigi,
E. , Mark A. Gluck, M. A. & Kelemen, O. (2012).
Impaired generalization of associative learning
in latients with alcohol dependence after
intermediate-term abstinence. Alcohol and
Alcoholism. In Press: doi: 10.1093/alcalc/ags050

We used an associative learning task to
investigate cognitive dysfunctions in alcohol
dependence. This test is suitable for the
assessment of stimulus-response learning and
memory generalization (acquired equivalence),
which is related to medial temporal lobe
functioning. Methods: Twenty patients with
alcohol dependence (abstinence: >6 months) and 20
matched healthy controls participated. In the
task, antecedent stimuli were cartoon faces and
consequent stimuli were color cartoon fishes. The
task was to learn face-fish associations using
feedback. In the transfer phase, the fish-face
pairs were generalized to new associations.
Results: There was no significant difference
between patients and controls during the
acquisition phase of fish-face associations. In
the transfer phase, however, patients were
impaired relative to controls. We found no
association between task performance and
intelligence. Conclusion: These results suggest
that abstinent patients with alcohol dependence
show marked dysfunctions in in the generalization
of associations, which may indicate the
dysfunction of the medial temporal lobe.

Regards, Mark Gluck

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
   Director, Rutgers Memory Disorders Project
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University                                 Phone:  (973) 353-3668/3298
197 University Ave.
Newark, New Jersey  07102                   Email:  gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu

   Lab:  http://www.gluck.edu
   Memory Loss & Brain Newsletter: http://www.memorylossonline.com