Connectionists: Research Assistant--MIT

Mary C Potter mpotter at mit.edu
Fri May 21 10:56:28 EDT 2010

Please post.

From: "Mary C. Potter" <mpotter at mit.edu>

RESEARCH ASSISTANT IN COGNITION/PERCEPTION AT MIT

Mary C. Potter is seeking a research assistant (Technical Assistant) starting
as soon as possible. A commitment of at least one year is required.

My current research is on conceptual short-term attention and memory, including
the attentional blink, picture encoding and memory, the interaction between
sentence processing and picture processing, and the influence of sentence
context on visual word perception and selection. For more about the lab, see
http://mollylab-1.mit.edu/lab/

The Technical Assistant will have primary responsibility for running the lab,
including supervising undergraduate research assistants, programming and
running experiments, and analyzing data. The research community in our
department provides an excellent, stimulating work environment, with
opportunities to become acquainted with the work of students and faculty.

Requirements for this research-oriented position include a B.A. or B.S degree,
some experience in experimental research (preferably in cognition, language, or
perception), and experience with programming. Experience with Matlab, Python,
or the equivalent is essential.

To apply, either go to the MIT jobs website and apply for mit-00006970, or
email or write me, enclosing a resume and the names and telephone numbers/email
addresses of at least two people as references. I'll be happy to answer any
questions about the position. Unfortunately, because of difficulties getting
visas, I am unable to consider applications from people without a work permit.
MIT is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and minority and women
applicants are encouraged to apply.

Mary C. Potter (Molly)
Professor of Psychology
Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences
46-4125
MIT
Cambridge MA 02139

mpotter at mit.edu (617)253-5526.