Connectionists: Postdoctoral Position in Computational Neuroscience

Sen Cheng sen.cheng at rub.de
Tue Jun 22 06:42:25 EDT 2010

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position in computational neuroscience in the research unit of Prof. Sen Cheng at the Ruhr University Bochum in Germany. Our unit investigates the theoretical basis for learning and memory processes at the neuronal circuit level.

The postdoc will work on the project "Theory of the interplay between sensory cortices and hippocampus in memory formation and retrieval", which is funded by the German Research Foundation as part of the collaborative research center (SFB 874) "Integration and Representation of Sensory Processes". The salary will be on the standard German pay scale of TV-L E13. Candidates should have (almost) completed their doctoral degree in neuroscience, physics, engineering or a related field. Competence in complex data analysis, related mathematical concepts and good programming skills are mandatory.

We are part of the Mercator Research Group "Structure of Memory" that has been formed recently to investigate episodic and semantic memory processes and their relation to other cognitive functions. The group comprises a diverse and interdisciplinary team of philosophers and experimental as well as theoretical neuroscientists. The main language of communication in the group is English. The Ruhr University Bochum is home to a vibrant research community in neuroscience with many laboratories focusing on all aspects of neuroscience research. For further information see our website at www.rub.de/cns.

To apply please send a statement of research interests and a complete CV to mrg1 at rub.de. Please, also request from three referees that they send letters of reference directly to the same email address.

The Ruhr University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity. We strongly encourage applications from qualified women and persons with disabilities.