Connectionists: Final Call for Papers: ECCV 2010 workshop on face detection (deadline: June 16th)

Vidit Jain vidit at cs.umass.edu
Wed Jun 9 13:40:45 EDT 2010

(Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.)

              Face Detection: Where we are, and what next?
                     (In conjunction with ECCV'10)
                          September 10, 2010
                       Heraklion, Crete, Greece
                 http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/fdWorkshop/

Submission Deadline: June 16th, 2010

Invited Speakers:
Yann LeCun    (New York University)
Hartmut Neven (Google Research)

Introduction:

Face detection has been a core problem in computer vision for more
than a decade. Not only has there been substantial progress in
research, but many techniques for face detection have also made their
way into commercial products. Despite this maturity, the algorithms
for face detection remain difficult to compare, and somewhat brittle
to the specific conditions under which they are applied. One
difficulty in comparing different face detection algorithms is the
lack of enough detail to reproduce the published results, which makes
it important to establish better benchmarks of performance.

In this workshop, we introduce a new, challenging data set of images
(FDDB) with faces in unconstrained settings. A rigorous evaluation
of different face detection algorithms on this benchmark will emphasize
the two main objectives of this workshop: (1) establish the current
state-of-the-art in face detection, and (2) identify new frontiers of
research in face detection. To encourage an easy access of these face
detection systems to the research community, this workshop will present
a cash award for best performing face detector (see FDDB page for
further details). Also, there will be a best paper award. Both of
these awards are sponsored by Microsoft Research India.

Organizing Committee:

Vidit Jain    (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
Gang Hua      (Nokia Research Center Hollywood)
Michael Jones (Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab)

Call for papers:

We solicit contributions in two broad categories:

Category A: Novel approaches for face detection
Papers in this category should present novel scientific contributions
in face detection. We are particularly interested in the domain of
unconstrained faces in which faces are not presented in a laboratory
controlled setting.

Category B: Face detection benchmark
The goal of these submissions is to compare algorithms for the
unconstrained face detection problem, and should present results on
the FDDB benchmark, which is available at FDDB page. Authors may
submit either a short paper or a regular paper in this category.

A more detailed call for papers including specific areas of interest
is available at: http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/fdWorkshop/cfp.html

Important dates:

Paper Submission : June 16, 2010
Acceptance Decisions : July 9, 2010