Connectionists: NEURON + Python Hands-On Tutorial

Tom McTavish Thomas.McTavish at yale.edu
Thu Jul 8 16:18:20 EDT 2010

Apologies for duplicate messages, but I wanted to send a reminder notice of our San Diego tutorial before SfN registration opens next week.... Interest has been strong and there are only two seats remaining.

NEURON + Python Hands-On Tutorial

8am – 12pm, Saturday, November 13, 2010
San Diego Training and Conference Center
350 10th Ave. Suite 950
San Diego, CA 92101

Organizers: Thomas McTavish, Michael Hines, Thomas Morse, Ted Carnevale, Gordon Shepherd

On Saturday morning before the Society for Neuroscience meeting, we will lead a hands-on course for coding in Python using NEURON. In this 4-hr course, we will cover fundamental NEURON concepts and core Python commands to interface with NEURON. We will also demonstrate various Python tools for facilitating model development and libraries for data visualization and analysis. Additionally, we will demonstrate how we are exploiting the Python interface to NEURON to add features to the ModelDB database allowing NEURON models to be more extensively explored online. These enhancements increase the utility of contributing one’s models to ModelDB.

The course will consist of a number of tutorials operating through a SAGE server that permits participants to enter Python commands into a web browser and save their notes and code in a digital lab notebook. In these tutorials, we will build and visualize properties of single- and multi-compartment models. We will also build a network model. With these models, we will run simulations and visualize results that are ready to print. In addition to covering essential Python commands, we will exploit parts of Scipy (Numpy, Matplotlib, Mayavi). We will also demonstrate how to contribute and share code through this server to foster collaborations.

Participants may bring their own laptops or use the computers at the facility, which is just blocks away from the San Diego Convention Center. Registration is FREE, but space is limited. A continental breakfast will be provided.

To register, email Thomas.McTavish at yale.edu.

-----
Thomas S. McTavish, Ph.D.
Thomas.McTavish at yale.edu