Connectionists: Special Symposium at CNS*2010 in San Antonio Texas

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Thu Jan 28 21:01:24 EST 2010

Special Symposium Announcement

Computational Neuroscience:  What have we learned in 20 years and what
do we still need to know?

As part of the main program at:

CNS *2010

July 24th - 30th

San Antonio Texas

http://www.cnsorg.org/

Abstract Submission Deadline for CNS*2010:  Feb. 14th

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION WEBSITE: http://www.cnsorg.org/2010/submission.shtml

It has been 20 years since plans were made to organize the worlds
first open international meeting in computational neuroscience.
Quoting from the introduction to the proceedings of the first meeting
in 1990, "Sensing that recent leaps in computational power and
knowledge of the nervous system may have set the state for a
revolution in theoretical neurobiology, our motive was to organize a
conference focused on emerging modeling tools and emerging
neurobiological concepts".   As part of CNS*2010, we have invited key
participants in the last 20 years of CNS meetings to present their
views on where computational neuroscience has been and where it is
going.  This special symposium will allow for both reflection and
predictions on the future of our computational approach to
understanding how brains work.

We hope to see you in San Antonio:  Jim Bower, Charles Wilson, Todd
Troyer (local CNS*2010 organizers)

Invited Speakers

Dr. John Miller (Montana State University)

“Analysis of invertebrate nervous systems as models for understanding
complex function”

Dr. Ron Calabrese (Emory University)

“The more we look, the more biological variation we see: How has and
should this influence modeling of small networks?”

Dr. Alain Destexhe  (CNRS - France)

The Nervous System, still noisy after all these years?

Dr. Upinder Bhalla (NCBS- Bangalore India)

  "Still looking for the memories: molecules and synaptic plasticity."

Dr. John Rinzel (NYU)

  “Modeling neuronal dynamics - our trajectory?”

Dr.  Bruno Olshausen (University of California Berkeley)

  “Learning about vision:  questions we've answered, questions

we haven't answered, and questions we haven't yet asked.”

Dr. Sharon Crook (Arizona State University)

“Learning from the past:  Approaches for Reproducibility in
Computational Neuroscience”

Dr. Avrama Blackwell (George Mason University)

Calcium: the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything

Dr. Christiane Linster (Cornell University)

“The olfactory system, still computing, but how??”

Dr. Michael Hasselmo (Boston University)

“20 years of oscillations and memory: The long and winding road linking

cellular mechanisms to behavior.”

Dr. James M. Bower
Professor of Computational Neurobiology

Research Imaging Center
University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Texas

Department of Biology
University of Texas - San Antonio

Phone:  210 382 0553
Email: bower at uthscsa.edu
Web: www.bower-lab.org

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged
or
contain privileged and confidential information. This information is
only
for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received
this
e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of
any
action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-
mail, or
any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that
this
e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be
immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case,
this
e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted
from
your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard
copies
made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
notify the sender by e-mail immediately.