Connectionists: Jobs: Two professors for new Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics: Birmingham UK

Jeremy Wyatt jlw at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 11:57:08 EST 2010

Two Professorial Chairs required to lead new Centre for Computational
Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics: Birmingham UK

University of Birmingham
College of Life and Environmental Sciences
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences

School of Psychology
School of Computer Science

Chair in Computational Neuroscience (Ref: 38192)
Chair in Cognitive Robotics (Ref: 38193)

Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics
Linking neuroscience with robotics.

The University of Birmingham is making a multimillion pound investment
to create the Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Cognitive
Robotics (CNCR). The Centre will foster an interdisciplinary,
collaborative approach to advance understanding of brain function and
learning, and develop better robotic systems. The research will be
translated into innovative treatment for patients with developmental,
degenerative or acquired neurological disorders.

To establish the centre, we are seeking two Chairs, one in
computational neuroscience and one in cognitive robotics.  These
appointments will be the first of a series culminating in ten academic
and technical positions. In the intermediate term we will be
appointing three lecturers and two technical positions to directly
support the incoming teams. This will be followed by the appointment
of a further three posts (one chair level) in the next year. We expect
the new chair-level appointees to play a major role in the next round
of recruitment.

The initial two chairs should have an international research record
that makes cutting-edge contributions to their field. Salary will be
commensurate with experience. For information and enquiries please
contact either

Professor Glyn Humphreys, g.w.humphreys at bham.ac.uk,
Professor Chris Miall, Head of Psychology,  r.c.miall at bham.ac.uk or
Dr Jeremy Wyatt, School of Computer Science, j.l.wyatt at bham.ac.uk

To download the details and submit an electronic application online
visit: www.hr.bham.ac.uk/jobs . Alternatively information can be
obtained from Sally Johnson on +44 (0)121 415 8116.

Details for the Chair in Cognitive Robotics http://www.download.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/jd/38193.pdf
Details for the Chair in Computational Neuroscience http://www.download.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/jd/38192.pdf

Closing date for both posts: 30 March 2010
A University of Fairness and Diversity
--
Dr Jeremy L Wyatt
Intelligent Robotics Lab