Connectionists: New release of OpenViBE 0.6.0

Yann Renard yann.renard at irisa.fr
Wed Apr 14 17:48:07 EDT 2010

New release of *OpenViBE* 0.6.0 "Spring edition" is now available for
download at : <http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=download>

This release as been delayed because of a bug in the acquisition server.
More information about this bug can be found on the dedicated forum
topic in the NEWS section.

=== Overview =========================================

OpenViBE is an opensource platform that enables to design, test and use
Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI). Broadly speaking, OpenViBE can be used
in many real-time Neuroscience applications.

The OpenViBE platform stands out for its high modularity. It addresses
the needs of different types of users (programmers and non-programmers)
and proposes a user-friendly graphical language which allows
non-programmers to design a BCI without writing a single line of code.

OpenViBE is portable, independent of hardware or software targets, can
run under Windows and Linux and is entirely based on free and
open-source software. OpenViBE is compatible with MATLAB programming.

OpenViBE comes with preconfigured scenarios and runs already existing
applications such as :
  * BCI based on motor imagery
  * P300 speller
  * Neurofeedback
  * Real-time visualization of brain activity in 2D or 3D

OpenViBE is available under the terms of the LGPL-v2+. The whole
software is developed in C++. It consists of a set of software modules
that can be integrated easily and efficiently to design BCI applications
such as for Virtual Reality interaction.

=== Where to get more information ====================

If you want more details, check these links :

*Website*
<http://openvibe.inria.fr>

*Quick introduction video* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/video.php?q=video-openvibe-introduction-en>

*Software download* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=download>

*One-hour training session video* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/video.php?q=video-designer-training-fr&playlist=true>

*Screenshots and videos* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=medias>

=== What changed since 0.5.0 ? =======================

In this new release, you will find the following modifiactions (+ for
adds, * for modifications, - for removes) :

  + Lucie Daubigney contributed a new driver : g.Tec's gMobiLab+
acquisition device for Linux
  + We added a new driver : Micromed SD LTM (through SystemPlus Evolution)
  + We added impedance check to the drivers that could support it
  + We updated the sample scenarios
  + We added a Confusion Matrix computation box
  + We added a Matrix Display box
  + We added a Lua stimulation box
  + We reenabled VR demos as default
  * We enhanced the visuals of the VR demos and added a few stats to
make the experience more entertaining
  * We refactored the acquisition server so the server itself runs in a
separate thread for better performances
  * We corrected some bugs on the acquisition server that caused
desynchronisations
  * We moved to Ogre 1.7 for 3D display
  * We moved to Boost 1.41
  * We updated the online documentation and tutorials
  * We updated many documentation pages
  * We fixed lots of bugs !
  - We removed OpenMASK / OBT dependency

=== What's coming in the next release(s) =============

Here is a snapshot of what we are currently doing and what you can
expect from the next release(s) :

  + A Neuroscan acquisition driver
  + A MitsarEEG acquisition driver
  + An EGI acquisition driver
  + More tools dedicated to plugins developpers (base classes, code
generators etc...)
  + More tools dedicated to authors / designer users
  + A more general matrix operations box

=== Closing words ====================================

We want to thank Lucie Daubigney for her contribution to the g.Mobilab+
driver.
Feel free to join us and to contribute as Lucie and
others are doing... <http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=contributions> !

Looking forward to hearing your feedback, we hope you'll enjoy working
with OpenViBE as we do.

The whole team wishes you a happy Christmas and happy new year...

Best regards,
The OpenViBE consortium

*Contact* :
Project Leader : Anatole Lécuyer, INRIA (anatole.lecuyer at irisa.fr)