Connectionists: PhD opening in Behavioral Neuorsciences in Marseille

Viktor Jirsa viktor.jirsa at univmed.fr
Tue Apr 6 05:50:23 EDT 2010

*Ph.D. studentship in Behavioral Neurosciences at the Mediterranean
University in Marseille, France
*
_Title:_ Control mechanisms in precision aiming in the elderly

The Institute of Movement Sciences in Marseille (France) (ISM,
http://www.ism.univmed.fr) has an opening for a PhD student in
Behavioral Neurosciences. The ISM is an interdisciplinary laboratory
(CNRS & University of the Mediterranean), which brings together research
in experimental psychology, behavioral neuroscience, motor control,
biomechanics, and physiology. Topics currently being investigated in the
ISM include: perception-action coupling, motor control, neuromuscular
modeling with kinematics, computational neurosciences with a focus on
large-scale brain modeling, non-invasive brain imaging including
Electroencephalography (EEG).

_PhD project:
_
Our daily activities incessantly require that we control both the speed
and the accuracy of our movements via which we physically interact with
the environment. Over a century of research has firmly documented that
movement speed decreases as accuracy requirements increase and vice
versa. This so-called speed-accuracy trade-off has been extensively
explored, notably in goal-directed aiming. We recently found evidence
that, in young adults, repetitive precision aiming movements with low
and high accuracy requirements are associated with two different control
mechanisms (corresponding to rhythmic and discrete movements, respectively).

It is well known that both the peripheral and central nervous system of
the elderly are subject to changes, which underlies an alteration of
their interaction with their environment relative to young adults. In
particular, in the context of precision aim these effects come to the
fore as a slowing down and increased variability of their movements.

This interdisciplinary team-project brings together established
theoretical and methodological expertise in nonlinear dynamics,
experimental psychology, neurophysiology and behavioral neuroscience in
order to determine how aging impacts the distinct motor control
mechanisms utilized in precision aiming. This aim will be pursued
combining skills in dynamical modeling/simulation, complementary (phase
flow) analysis techniques as well as the analysis of kinematic and
electromyographical patterns (underlying muscular activity) in multiple
experiments in the context of precision aiming.

Applicants should have a background in experimental psychology or
behavioral neurosciences and have programming, as well as time-series
analysis skills. Knowledge of dynamical approaches to motor control is a
plus.

Funding will be allocated on a competitive basis. Principal
investigators involved are Laure Fernandez, Raoul Huys and Viktor Jirsa.

For further information please contact Laure Fernandez:
laure.fernandez at univmed.fr