Connectionists: New paper: modeling neuron-astrocyte interactions

Renaud Jolivet rjolivet at pharma.uzh.ch
Wed Sep 16 06:21:03 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to a paper we recently published
modeling the exchange of metabolites between neuron and astrocytes and
providing a new method for evaluating the brain's energy budget. The
paper is available at
http://frontiersin.org/neuroenergetics/paper/10.3389/neuro.14/004.2009/

Jolivet R, Magistretti PJ, Weber B.
Deciphering neuron-glia compartmentalization in cortical energy metabolism.
Front. Neuroenerg. 1:4. doi:10.3389/neuro.14.004.2009

Energy demand is an important constraint on neural signaling. Several
methods have been proposed to assess the energy budget of the brain
based on a bottom-up approach in which the energy demand of individual
biophysical processes are first estimated independently and then summed
up to compute the brain's total energy budget. In this paper, we address
this question using a novel approach that makes use of published
datasets that reported average cerebral glucose and oxygen utilization
in humans and rodents during different activation states. Our approach
allows us [1] to decipher neuron-glia compartmentalization in energy
metabolism and [2] to compute a precise state-dependent energy budget
for the brain. Our results suggest that glycolysis occurs for a
significant part in astrocytes whereas most of the oxygen is utilized in
neurons. As a consequence, a transfer of glucose-derived metabolites
from glial cells to neurons has to take place. Furthermore, we find that
the amplitude of this transfer is correlated to the activity level of
the brain and to the oxidative activity in astrocytes. Our method allows
for a straightforward assessment of the brain's energy budget from
macroscopic measurements with minimal underlying assumptions.

Best regards,
Renaud Jolivet

--
Dr Renaud Jolivet