Connectionists: Postdoc: Computational Neuroscience/Neuroimaging (1.5+3.5 years)

Ingo Bojak I.Bojak at donders.ru.nl
Fri Sep 26 04:05:39 EDT 2008

Candidate profile
In a multidisciplinary project we will investigate resting state and
sleep with co-registered EEG/fMRI in a novel model-driven, computational
analysis. Thus our ideal candidate for this post combines skills in
neuroimaging, applied mathematics, and scientific programming with a
background in sleep research, connectivity studies or mean field
modeling. However, candidates with qualifications in relevant aspects
and enthusiasm for broadening their existing scientific portfolio will
also be considered. This project is a collaboration between
experimentalists and theorists at the Donders Institute’s Centres for
Cognitive Neuroimaging (DCCN) and Neuroscience (DCN). Hence it provides
a unique opportunity to become part of an emerging group of
neuroscientists comfortably crossing traditional faculty boundaries.

Research topic
How is the ubiquitous EEG ‘alpha rhythm’ of the unstimulated brain
linked to the resting state ‘default mode network’ that has been
identified with fMRI? What happens to the BOLD response as rest turns
into sleep, in different stages that we know from their EEG patterns?
The complementary nature of EEG and BOLD data requires innovative
methods for synergistic data analysis.
We will use a realistic mean field model for inverting co-registered
EEG/fMRI data to the underlying cortical state through an iterative
optimization of its biologically motivated parameters, including
cortical connectivity. We will start out with the analysis of previously
acquired resting-state data. During this pilot study we will seek
extended funding, which will allow us to carry out the planned
investigation of sleep stages with co-registered EEG/fMRI.

Research environment
The Neuro-Physiology and -Informatics group (http://neuroPI.org) at the
DCN and the MR-methods for Cognitive Neuroscience group
(http://tinyurl.com/4md98p) at the DCCN are part of the new Donders
Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behaviour
(http://www.ru.nl/donders/). The offered position is part of a large
project supported by the Donders Institute with a start-up grant.

Living in The Netherlands / Nijmegen
The Netherlands is well-known as a modern and very urbanized European
country. However, the vibrant border city of Nijmegen
(http://www.nijmegen.nl/) also offers access to the beautiful
Dutch/German “Lower Rhine” countryside.

Salary
The estimated gross salary will be between € 3129/month and €
4284/month, commensurate with experience, plus two yearly 8% supplements
(vacation and end-of-year). The 1.5 years initial contract will be
extended to up to 5 years, if sufficient external funds are acquired. A
generous moving/bridging package is being provided.

Contacts
Send your applications with full CV, list of publications, and three
referees to Ms. Stijns (Tildie.Stijns at donders.ru.nl). Submission
deadline is the 31st of October. For more information about the
position, contact Prof. R. Kötter (rk at donders.ru.nl), Prof. D. Norris
(D.Norris at donders.ru.nl), or Dr. I. Bojak (I.Bojak at donders.ru.nl).