Connectionists: Learning algorithms for deep AI architectures: open positions

Yoshua Bengio bengioy at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Sep 19 09:26:31 EDT 2008

Graduate studies and post-doctoral fellowships in learning algorithms
for deep AI architectures

Post-doctoral fellowships, studentships (Master and PhD) and Masters-
level internships are available at the University of Montreal LISA
group with faculty Yoshua Bengio, Douglas Eck, and Pascal Vincent,
and research scientist Aaron Courville, to study deep learning. Join
our vibrant community! Counting students, our lab includes over
twenty passionate researchers working together to build better AI
using deep architectures.

   * How do we get computers to have vision as good as humans?
   * How do we get computers to talk with humans in human language?
   * How do we get computers to understand and compose music as well
as humans?
   * Can we get inspiring ideas from the natural world? from the
brain? from child development? from human and animal learning?

Deep architectures mimic how the brain works by decomposing
intelligence into a processing hierarchy with multiple levels of
abstractions representing concepts that the computer learns mostly by
itself. Deep learning is a relatively new trend in artificial
intelligence and we believe it is key to solve longstanding problems
in machine vision and natural language processing. See Yoshua's
research page and www.iro.umontreal.ca/~lisa/deepLearning for more
details and pointers. See also the NSF's recent appraisal of the
importance of this research.

Applicants typically have a background in computer science or
mathematics but interdisciplinary perspectives are welcome.
Mathematical skills (especially probability, linear algebra,
statistics and optimization) are important for understanding and
analyzing learning algorithms. We value creative individuals
interested in working with others.

At the University of Montreal, courses are generally given in French
with the option for turning in homework, exams and theses/
dissertations in English. Within the LISA group, the language is
typically English. Of course, many English-speaking students have
learned French in the course of their studies and through subsidized
French classes.

Please get in touch for more information!

Yoshua Bengio
<my first name> (dot) <my last name> (at sign) umontreal (dot) ca
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~bengioy